rise in diabetes news on radio and television

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
did anyone here on news today about the high rise in diabetes?well as usual it is saying due to diet and obesity.Why dont they mention that type 1 is not because of diet or obesity and is not self inflicted!!It annoys me every time the news is on about diabetes.they are calling it an illness when it is a condition.I got diabetes when i was a very skinny teenager not because i ate fatty foods or a bad diet and was no way unfit.Everyone looks at me when i say i have diabetes as much to say you must have been fat (well some ignorant people still say that) and unfit.The media should be told about this as it is very upsetting!!! :

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hey, people ask me if my son will grow out of it. Even before diabetes came home I was not that ignorant.

I also know a fair few people who are Type 2 and were/are not fat/unfit people and plenty of gestation diabetics. Sometimes I just think it is because we live longer and have more treatments that certain diseases and conditions are on the rise.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
The article on the Beeb said that type 1 is inherited and that type 2 is linked to obesity. I suspect the journalist involved didn't really understand the condition and just quoted from their briefing paper.

It is also interesting to note that the researchers from Spain and Sweden said
the trends are not due to increased screening or the UK's ageing population, but from rising obesity rates.
and the NHS are saying the exact opposite.

Regards, Tubs.

stevied

The Doctor on the Beeb news this morning said " if you lose weight you can cure type 2 diabetes" :roll: WRONG.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
But there was a very knowledgable type-2 interviewed on BBC News 24 who managed to get the point across that type-2s who are diagnosed MUST reduce the carbohydrates in their diet. Don't know who the guy was because I missed the very beginning of the interview.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is the trouble with media - they will report the same findings with whatever slant suits their agenda. Yes, ignorance plays a part, but I have been seen by GPs who have basic gaps in their knowledge regarding diabetes - how is a reporter expected to understand every nuance and subtlety?

The overall message I got when listening to Radio 5 this morning was a correlation between obesity rates and the number of cases of type 2 diabetes. The doctor talked about controlling the type 2 condition through exercise, diet and lifestyle. Then they had an interview with a likeable, but slightly foolish type 2 diabetic. She was fully aware of what she should be doing to control the condition but despite the guidance and advice, she decided to 'treat herself' to naughty foods whenever she felt like it. She doesn't exercise and sees the recommended lifestyle as a massive change from her current path.

And that was the point the BBC wanted to make: Although there was a history of diabetes in her family, some responsibility lies with the individual to do their best in the treatment and control of the condition.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Dennis,
Got this from BBC website if its the same guy they have cut out his references to carbs.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7905734.stm

Cheers Graham

Dennis said:
But there was a very knowledgable type-2 interviewed on BBC News 24 who managed to get the point across that type-2s who are diagnosed MUST reduce the carbohydrates in their diet. Don't know who the guy was because I missed the very beginning of the interview.

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Again ive just put the itv news on at dinnertime and it showed a very large lady stating she had type 2 diabetes caused by herself eating lots of junk food.They (the media) still did not mention type 1 was not caused through peoples eating the wrong foods and that this type 1 is not self inflicted.As ive said before no-one in my family has type 1 or type 2 even my family history which ive studied has no diabetics , and i know mine type 1 wasnt inherited.

chocoholic

Same here,sugarybibs.There are no other Type 1's in my family. It is annoying when they keep showing fat people tucking into giant burgers and iced doughnuts and not even all Type 2's are overweight anyway. It's disgusting that all us diabetics are portrayed as gluttonous porkers.