Rise in Readings after intense excercise

Hi, I have Type 2 Diabetes I'm 66 and exercise regularly, walking about 2-3 miles a day, I cycle and swim (when open!). During the lockdown I have started a pre-breakfast 5 minute fairly intense workout (Caroline Jordan) . On waking my Blood Glucose reading is around 7.5 . I take Metformin after dinner. I took a reading before the workout this morning it was 7.5, however after the workout it was 9.5! Is this something that can happen and does this rise usually reduce after a while?
Thanks Andrew

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have Type 2 Diabetes I'm 66 and exercise regularly, walking about 2-3 miles a day, I cycle and swim (when open!). During the lockdown I have started a pre-breakfast 5 minute fairly intense workout (Caroline Jordan) . On waking my Blood Glucose reading is around 7.5 . I take Metformin after dinner. I took a reading before the workout this morning it was 7.5, however after the workout it was 9.5! Is this something that can happen and does this rise usually reduce after a while?
Thanks Andrew
That's a liver dump. Long walks are steady and calm, but when you're doing something strenuous, your liver starts dumping glucose to help you along. That's why taking it relatively easy but doing it for a longer time, is better for blood sugar levels than bursts of an intense workout. At the same time, you might be releasing some of the stored glucose, which in itself isn't bad either. All in all though, expect this to happen after the workout. It's normal, considering the circumstances.

Reactions: LaoDan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I'm hoping for some weight loss through the aerobic exercise, so I will stick with it and hopefully overall my readings will be lower.

Then, can I ask, what are you eating? Odds are you'll get better numbers and lose weight if you follow a low carb/high fat diet. So if you're not already.... That might be a better and faster way to do it. Not saying not to exercise, but the combination may be more helpful. And you'd eventually leave the metformin behind as well, as you wouldn't need it anymore.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might be helpful.

84green

Then, can I ask, what are you eating? Odds are you'll get better numbers and lose weight if you follow a low carb/high fat diet. So if you're not already.... That might be a better and faster way to do it. Not saying not to exercise, but the combination may be more helpful. And you'd eventually leave the metformin behind as well, as you wouldn't need it anymore.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might be helpful.

Thanks - Andrew for the question and Jo for the answer. I noticed the same thing over the past couple of days and come on the forum to answer this very question. The answer makes sense. I have also noticed that longer, less intense exercise seems to reduce my level.

I have lost 63lbs since January and reduced Hb1Ac from 56 to 38 mmol/mol by following a low carb eating regime. I have also greatly increased my activity levels after being diagnosed with a mild heart condition. Although both play a part, in my simplistic view it’s diet for the diabetes and exercise for the heart.

Thanks again.

Reactions: DJC3