Rising BG levels during sports (any help?)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Hi!

I hope someone can help me on this.. I found out the minute I get up in the morning and take a shower, my bg levels begin to rise quite fast. Even without having breakfast.
The same happens when doing cardio training or playing a football game. I now managed to keep this a bit under control by taking extra insulin immediately when I get up or before I start sporting and by skipping breakfast. For example I take my Lantus before going to the gym in the afternoon, so it helps to keep bg a bit down.

Still I think it is kinda strange, I mean: BG is supposed to be dropping when doing exercise . Normally that was also what happened to me. I use Lantus and Novorapid. Any advice on this?

I've read about the dawnsyndrom, possibly it is that..anything I can do about it? Maybe change my insulin?
I haven't been to a diabetes doctor for some years, since they do not seem to know anything more than I already know myself. I'd like to go now but haven't been able to get an appointment just yet, so hope you guys can help me out on this one;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Some sports can raise BS, check this out.............
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-sport-and-blood-sugar.html
.............some sports can lower it.

Regarding dawn phenomenon. if it worries you unduly, try experimenting by eating something of low carb value as soon as you wake - a few nuts for example. The idea behind this is that it fools the body into thinking that you're about to eat breakfast and stops the liver from dumping glucose. This appears to work for some people.

Reactions: 4 people

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What is the procedure to follow for this. My blood sugar goes up or stays the same after circuit training

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Some sports can raise BS, check this out.............
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-sport-and-blood-sugar.html
.............some sports can lower it.

Regarding dawn phenomenon. if it worries you unduly, try experimenting by eating something of low carb value as soon as you wake - a few nuts for example. The idea behind this is that it fools the body into thinking that you're about to eat breakfast and stops the liver from dumping glucose. This appears to work for some people.

Thanks for your advice! I tried to eat a bit in the morning after reading about that, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help a lot for me. Best results with eating in the morning I achieve by eating a bit of yoghurt (without additives obviously), but still have to take 5 units of novorapid to keep sugar down.

Interesting to read about the difference of bg-response between highly intensive / moderate intensive training. Maybe I am in such bad condition that doing a bit of exercise on a cross trainer (or even walking to the gym) is highly intensive for me;)

While reading Runsweet, I get the feeling that not alle the reasons for getting hypers during sports have been fully sorted out yet. But anyway thanks a lot for your help! If anybody has been experiencing the same, I would be glad to read about their experiences as well!

Reactions: 2 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I hope someone can help me on this.. I found out the minute I get up in the morning and take a shower, my bg levels begin to rise quite fast. Even without having breakfast.
The same happens when doing cardio training or playing a football game. I now managed to keep this a bit under control by taking extra insulin immediately when I get up or before I start sporting and by skipping breakfast. For example I take my Lantus before going to the gym in the afternoon, so it helps to keep bg a bit down.

Still I think it is kinda strange, I mean: BG is supposed to be dropping when doing exercise . Normally that was also what happened to me. I use Lantus and Novorapid. Any advice on this?

I've read about the dawnsyndrom, possibly it is that..anything I can do about it? Maybe change my insulin?
I haven't been to a diabetes doctor for some years, since they do not seem to know anything more than I already know myself. I'd like to go now but haven't been able to get an appointment just yet, so hope you guys can help me out on this one;)

There's an interesting graph on Runsweet which Noble sent you that shows the effects, short term it rises, then if it's cardio it'll drop. The intensity of exercise makes a difference, very intense will push it up, and you also need to factor in stress hormones and adrenaline. Combat sports, football if played intensely, for example will raise BG. You really need to get to know your own body reaction to different kinds of exercise, testing and recording your results will build up patterns for you. Have been through this since my diagnosis, snowboarding I found particularly difficult, as the fear/stress hormones pushed my BG on day one, but changed massively as I settled into familiar territory, and it became much more aerobic. There are a lot of books such as the Diabetic Athlete which explain the science, but also give some general steer.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
You could try splitting your lantus so that can have more overnight without risking hypos later or take some as soon as you get up try and stop the dp in its tracks. Then you are not forced to feed your diabetes at any point. As for the sports my blood always rises when doing sports (or..ironing ***) but it seems you are on top of that lantus wise so maybe just aim to have your sugar start lower before sports? I don't know. I have dp and it took a pump to control mine so I could give you millions of tips and it will just be whichever one works for you. I'll leave it at this for the moment XD

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
LOL rising bg while ironing;)

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give it a try to lower my bg to 5 or so before gym. But always have the feeling a hypo might be around the corner if I start to sport at just 4 or 5, since that is what used to happen in the past when doing sports. Luckily I am able to keep a close eye on my BG with the Freestyle Libre.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is for everyone and sport !!!! Adrenalin will push your blood sugar up I get it with running and gym so always test your blood sugar after just as a Guide but say my blood sugar is perfect after the gym 5.8 chances are I will go low if I don't do something like eat or sip lucazade sport, but if I do my blood and it's 13.5 I will always wait because it could be the adrenalin that has pushed it up so if I bolused/injected (I'm on a pump)
So if you have in ejected to bring yourself down when the adrenalin wears off u will go very low so just be carful. I wait 15 min after first blood test and do another to see if I need to do something. But as for u waking up a bit higher than you would like talk to your DR but it could be because u need more back ground insulin or me and my sister are both type 1 and we find our bloods creep up if we don't eat but DR said to do what u are doing and give some units to level your sugars but pumps u can just ask it to give u a unit or 2 at that time each day. Hope this helps

Peterrhoades

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to get by BS to about 15 before I exercise. Then have 5 or 10 units of actarapid and ride like a mad man. I also make up my own energy drink years of testing have helped me find the best mix. I have an application on my kindle so I can add the time riding and my weight and I get the calories I have used. This seems to get the number correct as it reads about the same as my pulse rate monitor if I use it. By making a note of calories used I can now load my self before I ride. My BS when I get home is between 4 and 8, but sometimes I do have to use a few glucose tablets if I miscalculated my numbers. I have to recharge my liver after a ride as its been emptied and my BS will crash at night.