Type 2 Rising bg

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering if a lack of physical activity can cause a dramatic increase in your bg...over the last 6 months I’ve managed to get my hb1Ac from 83 to 57 through a mixture of diet and 2000mg of metformin and 40mg of Gliclazide...average daily readings over the last few months have been between 6.1 to 7.3 so have been enjoying some control over my diabetes...this week I went into hospital for a planned operation on my big toe and due to this I have to rest at home keeping weight of this foot and only allowed to walk around for 5 mins every so often...I’m signed off work for the next 6 weeks...so as a result I’m not very active, if at all... I’m now averaging a bg reading around 12.3 and rising even though I’m still taking medication and sticking to a low carb diet...is this lack of activity the cause of the sudden rise ?? Or has the Gliclazide stopped working yet I’ve only been on that for around 4 months?? Any advice much appreciated...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The procedure itself will have caused a rise in bg as well as the stress/anxiety. The healing process will likely show raised levels, too. Concentrate on looking after yourself, take any medications as normal and keep low carbing. Oh, and get well soon.

Reactions: mike gibson

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mike, I sympathise hugely. I had major surgery on my foot just before last Xmas, it did involve a steroid shot too, but my blood sugars were up for around 4 - 6 weeks. I think not only getting over the anaesthetic and surgery itself, but the general stress and pain post op all contributes to the rises. I think the lack of exercise is a minor consideration as because of my foot problem I didn’t exercise much before the op anyway, so the immobility post op wasn’t a whole lot different.

Reactions: mike gibson