Rising HbA1c

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My last test about 6 months ago registered 38. The test was an NHS test. Because they’ll basically only test me once a year, I decided to get tested privately through letsgetitchecked.com. It came back at 45.

The service seems to be quite good (although getting to fill a test tube from a pricked finger is a bit of an ordeal). I got a follow up call from one of their nurses. And when we discussed things she thought that the test may have registered a higher value because I hadn’t fasted and hadn’t tested in the morning.

First, do I really have to fast for this test? It’s an average over the past two to three months and I’ve read that fasting for this is not necessary.

Second, the only thing I’ve changed in my diet is that I’m now allowing myself to eat fruit (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries), whereas before I ate no fruit at all.

In terms of exercise, I’ve kept up my daily 5k walks without fail, although my evening workouts have gone down from 4-5 per week to 2-3 per week.

I take no meds and rely on LCHF and exercise to control. I’m 68 yrs old, and weigh 65kg and got diagnosed in December 2017.

Just wondering if the increase is, over time, in the nature of the beast.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurse seems to have no idea at all about the test - it would make no difference to your Hba1c to have fasted that morning - it is giving an indication of the blood glucose level over the last three months.
I can only suggest that you check just how many grams of carb you are eating each day, and then see where you might change to eating just a little less - either smaller portions or foods with fewer carbs as a percentage.
Do you have a meter to test your blood glucose level?

Reactions: Freema

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The nurse seems to have no idea at all about the test - it would make no difference to your Hba1c to have fasted that morning - it is giving an indication of the blood glucose level over the last three months.
I can only suggest that you check just how many grams of carb you are eating each day, and then see where you might change to eating just a little less - either smaller portions or foods with fewer carbs as a percentage.
Do you have a meter to test your blood glucose level?

Yes, I do test daily and I average between 6-6.3 mmol/ L which is well bellow the 7.5 I’d have to have averaged to get an A1c of 45.

You’re right though, my carbs gave crept up from a daily of around 50-55 to 65-70.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you have your answer in the increase of carbs - to get down to the 41/42 levels I was eating under 50 gm of carbs a day, and now am eating under 40 to try to lose weight, and push down Hba1c for the promised test in April, though I'll believe that when I see the nurse with the vials, because the surgery's lack of interest in my health is fairly obvious.