1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Risk assessment

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Josie66, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Josie66

Josie66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are there any nhs staff here who will be returning to work in August following sheilding. Im trying to find out which risk assessment matrix is being used to ensure safe return to work.

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Josie66 - Why not just ask for it? These things shouldn't be a secret.

Perhaps you need to talk to Health and Wellbeing, or whatever label your Trust's Occupational Health is wearing at the moment.

Edited to add: I just Googled the following, and returned loads of results from many Trusts, many dated July 2020, so in our COVID times: , I hope "nhs return to work covid risk assessment template shielding"

I didn't look at any of the documents, but there should be some useful stuff in there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I think you’ll need to contact your occupational health people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Josie66

I have had mine done but don't believe it was the correct one for people who have been sheilding. Have also contacted occupational health and health and safety for advice
    Just wanted to see what other NHS units are using as there are many different risk assessment forms and maybe there should be a specific one for high risk staff

5. Josie66

Yes already done that but thanks

6. Josie66

Thanks ive done that already and
    that's the problem..theres so many and all different. We should probably have a standard one..one that ensures nhs staff are assessed fairly .

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

My thinking is that's a great idea, but the reality is it really depends on the individual's role, and therefore the environments they are exposed to, and their underlying conditions requiring the assessment.

An individual with essentially no immune system, working in A&E or ICU probably has a greater risk than a person with a bit of hypertension (not trivialising the hypertension at all) working in an NHS office, well away from clinical environments.

I would suggest those two profiles and risks would be very different.

My feeling is, the NHS is keen to redeploy as many previously away from work in whatever capacity staff as possible, so will have to look at individual situations, rather than a tick-box, one-size-fits-all exercise.

Of course, each way has winners and losers.

I would still urge that you ask Health and Wellbeing (or whatever Occ Health is in your area) for both the assessment criteria and your full report, once it is complete - whether or not you get the result you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Judith has been working from home she had a risk assessment done by phone but will have another done early in August she is unsure as to what criteria the hospital where she works is using. But is going to try and find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Josie66

Thanks for your responses x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook