Type 2 Risk of complications?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add not all t2's are Insulin resistant, Insulin insensitive or over producers, some like myself are non-producers and very sensitive to insulin.......:wideyed:

Reactions: briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Just to add not all t2's are Insulin resistant, Insulin insensitive or over producers, some like myself are non-producers and very sensitive to insulin.......:wideyed:
We're all so different. I know. I just assume that I'm very IR, and wondering if that's yet another risk in itself.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing it for 8-9 months now. I don't normally experiment with carb intake, but keep it as low as possible. It would seem that I'm in mild ketosis (1.3 last time I checked), but then one morning I tried eating 12g of carbs in an attempt to stop what I assumed was a liver dump. My FBG was an annoying 6.2, and one hour and 12g.s of carbs later it was 10mmol/l :banghead:That's why I assume I'm still badly IR. I should be working on my patience instead. Thanks, Resurgam.

Just read this and though to add that what you experienced was likely a temporary insulin resistence. Eg you gave you body a surprise amount of carbs it was not used to at that time of day. It is likely that if you had 12 g of carbs every morning you body would not have reacted so badly.

This article explains it better than I can

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/06/08/physiological-insulin-resistance-and-coffee-addiction/

Reactions: briped

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @briped
I heartily recommend these videos of lectures by Ivor Cummins.
He addresses all your questions, I believe, linking insulin resistance to many chronic conditions - most of which affect people with diabetes more than non-diabetics (types 1, 2 and possibly other types).

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Just read this and though to add that what you experienced was likely a temporary insulin resistence. Eg you gave you body a surprise amount of carbs it was not used to at that time of day. It is likely that if you had 12 g of carbs every morning you body would not have reacted so badly.

This article explains it better than I can

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/06/08/physiological-insulin-resistance-and-coffee-addiction/

Thanks. Very interesting! That could well be the case, but I haven't dared experiment further, and won't be doing so in the foreseeable future. Good to know, though.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi @briped
I heartily recommend these videos of lectures by Ivor Cummins.
He addresses all your questions, I believe, linking insulin resistance to many chronic conditions - most of which affect people with diabetes more than non-diabetics (types 1, 2 and possibly other types).

Thanks Brunneria. I will look forward to watching those :) Nothing like Youtube. Unfortunately I missed Jason Fung's Obesity code (audio book). It looks as if it was removed.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
D

Deleted Account

That isn't quite true. T1s inject insulin, so there is insulin floating about, and some T1s play a bit of Russian Roulette with the amounts they inject.
If a type 1 injects too much insulin, their BG gets low and they experience a hypo which has other immediate problems. They are unlikely to experience "insulin floating about".

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That's an interesting theory.
However people with type 1 are at risk of complications but we have no insulin floating around our blood stream
Hi @helensaramay, as someone with an interest in this but not as professional opinion or advice:
but as a T1D one could inject insulin to excess, put on weight and develop some insulin resistance that way.
It may be that insulin resistance as part of the 'metabolic syndrome' increases risk of some complications such as cardiovascular disease (CVD)? But HBA1Cs > 8 % in either T1Ds or T2Ds increase the risk of CVD. (htpps://bmjopen.bmj,com/7/7/e015949).
Both macrovascular (e.g. heart attacks stroke) and microvascular (e.g. eye, kidney, nerve) complications of diabetes develop in both T1Ds and T2Ds see introductory para ) clevelandclinicmeded.com Diabetes Mellitus: Management of Macrovascular and Microvascular Complications 2016 Zimmernman.