Risk of Hypo w/o Insulin?

JDiellas

My daughter, now 5, was diagnosed 7 months ago as T1. We are using Apidra before meals and Lantus before bedtime. Her weight is around 19kg and her daily dosage is totally around 3-4 units: 1 Lantus daily and Apidra 1/0.5/1 (breakfast/lunch/dinner).
Using Freestyle Libre we've managed to control her levels: in May her Hb1c was 7.3 and in Sept it was 6.9

Being in her honeymoon phase, it's been a couple of days without any insulin injections. Her levels at night are stable at 120-130 but occasionally she might go lower, and if she goes under 100 I wake her up for a small snack (usually half a cracker).

My question is: without any insulin injected, what is the risk of hypo?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @JDiellas :)

Without insulin there is no risk of hypo. However getting 100 is fine for her to sleep through the night without waking for a snack, a hypo occurs when levels dip below 70 so she's still some way of this and also as there is no insulin on board then this should give your further reassurance. As long as you're monitoring her levels for the time when her honeymoon eases off, as you're already doing then you'll be prepared. It's a good time to be increasing your knowledge of type 1 whilst she's in this phase, a good read to help you is 'Think like a pancreas' written by a type 1.