Roast/frozen potatoes

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I cooked some King Edwards potatoes, roasted in beef dripping. I are 100g and got a rise of 2.4.

I froze 100g and reheated them today, from frozen. I got a rise of 2.2.

Bearing in mind that they were eaten on their own, I am happy to leave my next experiment until Christmas Day.

D

Deleted Account

Interesting experiment.
I would also track the actual starting and ending BG.
The reason for this is the error margin of out meters is a percentage and a variation of 0.2 may be within the margin of error of your meter, especially if you had a higher BG.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 1
Before pots BG 6.5

Running 2 meters in parallel
2 hours after eating
CodeFree 8.1 caresens 9.5

Day 2
5.7 before roasties
CodeFree 8.2 caresens 7.6
3 hours after eating
CodeFree 6.6 caresens 7.0

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know if this would make any difference in making potatoes more diabetic friendly. When my daughters husband was waiting for a kidney transplant he was on dialysis and potatoes had to be soaked in water for a couple of hours before cooking them to remove the starch

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused I don't see where you've got the 2.4 and 2.2 from in the above. Also when doing tests like this either use both meters together for every test or pick one and stick to that.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am taking an average between the meters. Both meters use the same blood drop.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Day 1
Before pots BG 6.5

Running 2 meters in parallel
2 hours after eating
CodeFree 8.1 caresens 9.5

Day 2
5.7 before roasties
CodeFree 8.2 caresens 7.6
3 hours after eating
CodeFree 6.6 caresens 7.0
Does that mean you are happy with a meal/food that gives you 6.6 3hrs post prandial.
Having BGs that high over time will mean the IR will get progressively worse.
I wouldn't... for the simple reason that complications are still possible with those kind of BG levels.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does that mean you are happy with a meal/food that gives you 6.6 3hrs post prandial.
I wouldn't... for the simple reason that complications are still possible with those kind of BG levels.

That's most of us type 1s ******* then? 6.6?

Edited by mod for profanity

Last edited by a moderator:

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's most of us type 1s ****** then? 6.6?
Who says type 1s can't have normal BG levels?
I follow Dr Richard Bernstein's protocol.
He is type 1 and he has and maintains normal BG levels.

Edited by mod for profanity in quoted content.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only ever have one tiny (20g) Aunt Bessie’s (so cooked and frozen) roast potato once a week with a roast dinner, so plenty of fat eaten with it. This has minimal effect on my blood sugars.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who says type 1s can't have normal BG levels?
I follow Dr Richard Bernstein's protocol.
He is type 1 and he has and maintains normal BG levels.

Edited by mod for profanity in quoted content.

All I can say for me is if I use insulin to try and get my levels much below 6 I fall well below 4 every single time, even when I use 1 unit of insulin, it is not easy to get below 6 without the risk of hypo's. In the same way I would not dream of commenting on how best for a type 2 to proceed because I don't have the experience, it upsets me to hear 'Who says a type 1 can't have 'normal' levels', you have no idea and seriously, are you saying because Bernstein can do it, we all can? Are all type 2s the same?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I froze 100g and reheated them today, from frozen
When I reheat leftover cooked potatoes, they have just been left in the main part of the fridge overnight.

Spud Lites are even better this way, cut in half and put in the microwave for a couple of minutes on high, then browned off in the frying pan with bacon and tomatoes.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All I can say for me is if I use insulin to try and get my levels much below 6 I fall well below 4 every single time, even when I use 1 unit of insulin, it is not easy to get below 6 without the risk of hypo's. In the same way I would not dream of commenting on how best for a type 2 to proceed because I don't have the experience, it upsets me to hear 'Who says a type 1 can't have 'normal' levels', you have no idea and seriously, are you saying because Bernstein can do it, we all can? Are all type 2s the same?
Actually I am.
Information is power.
Go to the face book group Typeonegrit https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit/ and look at what is going on there
Also If you haven't already, please pull up scores of Dr Bernstein's YouTube videos
NOTHING says a Type1 cannot have normal BGs.
It may not be PC to say it...but say it I am.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know if this would make any difference in making potatoes more diabetic friendly. When my daughters husband was waiting for a kidney transplant he was on dialysis and potatoes had to be soaked in water for a couple of hours before cooking them to remove the starch
Wow I always prep my veg (loads of spuds) Christmas Eve and soak them in a bucket of water overnight in the garage so that should reduce the starch. Thanks for sharing that info.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a long time since I made any rösti potatoes but I seem to remember lots of starchy liquid draining out when I squeezed the shredded potatoes. Maybe that's another alternative.

Reactions: Diane60

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually I am.
Information is power.
Go to the face book group Typeonegrit https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit/ and look at what is going on there
Also If you haven't already, please pull up scores of Dr Bernstein's YouTube videos
NOTHING says a Type1 cannot have normal BGs.
It may not be PC to say it...but say it I am.

Brassyblonde, I am not saying that individual type 1s cannot achieve non diabetic levels, I am saying not all of us can or wish to by risking hypos which can be deadly. Please try to understand, when some of us get into the 4's by use of insulin, the danger is that it is so very easy to slip down into the 3s and even 2s. So many other factors come into it, what we are doing, whether we have eaten, what's going on at work, whether we have exercised, whether our basal is suddenly going to kick in at that exact moment, whether we are ill or coming down with something and that's before we even get to having to be above 5 for driving. You say it is not 'PC', but come on, would YOU want to take a risk of dropping to the floor at any given moment and being carted off in an ambulance, would YOU want to be at work or shopping and feeling the constant tremors and shakes that accompany being in the low 4s? It would be lovely to be able to do this and I envy you for your great numbers but I simply cannot get constantly below 6 without all of the above happening. I shall simply have to sit at around 6 and hope for the best but at least I will be able to actually leave the house without worrying about falling in to the road.

Reactions: Daphne917

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not particularly happy with the numbers but I was more interested in the rise which is why I ate them on their own.

I won't try it again until Christmas Day, I will soak them overnight first and eat with a full meal.

My numbers have been slightly higher of late no idea why.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Brassyblonde, I am not saying that individual type 1s cannot achieve non diabetic levels, I am saying not all of us can or wish to by risking hypos which can be deadly. Please try to understand, when some of us get into the 4's by use of insulin, the danger is that it is so very easy to slip down into the 3s and even 2s. So many other factors come into it, what we are doing, whether we have eaten, what's going on at work, whether we have exercised, whether our basal is suddenly going to kick in at that exact moment, whether we are ill or coming down with something and that's before we even get to having to be above 5 for driving. You say it is not 'PC', but come on, would YOU want to take a risk of dropping to the floor at any given moment and being carted off in an ambulance, would YOU want to be at work or shopping and feeling the constant tremors and shakes that accompany being in the low 4s? It would be lovely to be able to do this and I envy you for your great numbers but I simply cannot get constantly below 6 without all of the above happening. I shall simply have to sit at around 6 and hope for the best but at least I will be able to actually leave the house without worrying about falling in to the road.
I get you.