Roller coaster BG and HbA1c levels

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't posted for a while but I thought it might be useful to some of you to hear of a recent experience with raised BG and HbA1c levels and my GP surgery response. I was diagnosed T2 about 7-8 years ago and 1g of Metformin + diet and exercise had always kept me around 45-48 HbA1c. My GP was pleased with that, as was I. In early March I was unwell for about 10 days with sore throat and eyes, general tiredness and felling well below par. A week into that, my BG levels shot up to the high teens and low 20s and wouldn't go down, no matter what I ate (or didn't) and I got the usual sweaty symptoms and tingling feet. It was just on lockdown as I rang my GP for help.

In response, I got a phone consultation from a doctor I didn't know and whose bedside manner was off, to say the least: 'How did I know my BG was up, why was I testing, what did I expect her to do?' I resisted a the temptation to sound off and suggested I get a blood test. She hummed-and-hrred but eventually agreed, though saying I'd have to 'organise the test myself' (I did get the required form from her on the 2nd attempt) and trotted off to my local hospital.

The result showed my level had gone from 46 in Sept 2019 to 62 in March 2020. I'd never had it that high (even on diagnosis) and my GP was on the phone to me pretty quickly after the results came in. He didn't seem to have any real ideas though until I suggested that the illness (virus?) I'd just had might have caused it and my weight had crept up a bit over the winter. In the absence of anything else, he said he agreed that 'was probably the cause' and 'maybe we should wait for another blood test in July before reviewing meds etc.'

OK, why not? My BG went down through early April and my symptoms went as well, and everything's been fine since, but for the 3 or so weeks or so it lasted it was a pretty scary experience. It would have been useful to know exactly why it all happened and the GP's regrettably didn't help with that, but I thought it might be worth posting here in case anyone else has experienced the same.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I haven't posted for a while but I thought it might be useful to some of you to hear of a recent experience with raised BG and HbA1c levels and my GP surgery response. I was diagnosed T2 about 7-8 years ago and 1g of Metformin + diet and exercise had always kept me around 45-48 HbA1c. My GP was pleased with that, as was I. In early March I was unwell for about 10 days with sore throat and eyes, general tiredness and felling well below par. A week into that, my BG levels shot up to the high teens and low 20s and wouldn't go down, no matter what I ate (or didn't) and I got the usual sweaty symptoms and tingling feet. It was just on lockdown as I rang my GP for help.

In response, I got a phone consultation from a doctor I didn't know and whose bedside manner was off, to say the least: 'How did I know my BG was up, why was I testing, what did I expect her to do?' I resisted a the temptation to sound off and suggested I get a blood test. She hummed-and-hrred but eventually agreed, though saying I'd have to 'organise the test myself' (I did get the required form from her on the 2nd attempt) and trotted off to my local hospital.

The result showed my level had gone from 46 in Sept 2019 to 62 in March 2020. I'd never had it that high (even on diagnosis) and my GP was on the phone to me pretty quickly after the results came in. He didn't seem to have any real ideas though until I suggested that the illness (virus?) I'd just had might have caused it and my weight had crept up a bit over the winter. In the absence of anything else, he said he agreed that 'was probably the cause' and 'maybe we should wait for another blood test in July before reviewing meds etc.'

OK, why not? My BG went down through early April and my symptoms went as well, and everything's been fine since, but for the 3 or so weeks or so it lasted it was a pretty scary experience. It would have been useful to know exactly why it all happened and the GP's regrettably didn't help with that, but I thought it might be worth posting here in case anyone else has experienced the same.

This is a useful link for sick days:

'Illness and infections, as well as other forms of stress, can raise your blood glucose (sugar) levels. As part of the body’s defence mechanism for fighting illness and infection, more glucose is released into the blood stream. This can happen even if you’re off your food or eating less than usual.

People who don’t have diabetes just produce more insulin to cope. But when you’ve got diabetes, your body can’t do this.'

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/illness