Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Good afternoon :)

I have read on the internet and on the forums about how rollercoasters affect your blood sugars but it's still confusing me.

This Saturday, I'm going to Pleasure Beach in Blackpool with a few mates for my birthday and I'm a bit worried of what to expect and watch out for.

Because your body is creating so much adrenaline, what does it do to your blood sugars? Also will I be more likely to go into a hypo or go high? I'm also concerned about my Omnipod and Libre, should I worry about them too?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think you'll know about your BS until you get there. Even if it goes slightly high, all the walking about might counteract that.

I can't comment on the Omnipod or Libre as I have neither, but I'll tag @catapillar and @noblehead

Reactions: Eireannn

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't say for sure about the Libre but pump should be fine, just make sure the PDM is in a safe and secure place where it won't fall from your belongings.

I'd say the adrenaline rush is more likely to cause a spike in bg rather than a low, but just test before and afterwards just to be sure so you can act, enjoy your day :)

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually adrenelin sends blood sugar up, it's counter regulatory to insulin. There could always be a strange response where roller coasters send you low, or walking round Blackpool does. So you'll just have to see what happens and deal with it on the day. If it does send you up correct very cautiously - query the PDM corrections - because as soon as you are back on solid ground the adrenalin can disappear and there might be no reason to correct.

I've not seen anything about pods and roller coasters. I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe just try to stick it somewhere it's not likely to be got by the seat harnesses.

I don't use the libre, but that'll probably be fine too. Maybe have a quick check on the Abbott site.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Eireannn , yeah rollercoasters are a problem but if you ever decide to go speargun hunting, watch out for the spikes:

1bc5b0d67c2c63dbee7dbbd520b1befa.jpg

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm also concerned about my Omnipod and Libre

I don't know how playing golf and swimming compare to roller coasters or indeed a hyperbaric chamber (compression chamber, equivalent of 10m under the sea), but my Libre seems OK with that.

Reactions: Eireannn

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that all the walking around in the crisp Blackpool air tends to make me lower rather than higher.

There are sometime brief excitement spikes on the ride and nearing the front of the queue but they tend to be quite hollow highs and the walking knocks them on the head.

For me, a day to Blackpool pleasure beach would need a 10% basal reduction for that day but everyone is different.

The Libre and Omnipod should be fine, just be careful about knocking your pod getting on/off the rides and where any belts and buckles go for the restraints. Because you've got the Libre and the Omnipod I think you'll do a grand job, just keep a close eye on things and adjust when necessary. At least if you go low you can have some candy floss!

Have a lovely time!

Reactions: azure

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Thanks everyone for the responses :)

My mum double checked by calling up the diabetic consultant I usually see and she said the Omnipod and Libre should be no issue, she also wrote a letter from the hospital saying I should be able to skip the queues in case I go into a hypo! Lol!

Reactions: Ultramum

scottw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had a roller coaster life for decades 40mg/dl-300mg/dl and back sometimes 2-3 x/d. , Much less now w/ CGM and not working. A1c's always 6-6.5. MD's told me these rapid and wide fluctuations are where many long term complications come from. Has anyone heard this or seen any stat's on it? They really beat me up when they happen.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Went and my bloods were excellent all throughout the whole day. Even ate a massive waffle smothered in Nutella and ice cream and guessed the carbs and I didn't go high or low :p

Reactions: db89