Rules for T1 runners

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
04b9fdec5d7cc883f3cbc9b420376db6.jpg

A recent 2 mile run in Sydney demanded that Type 1s provide an acceptable blood sugar reading in the 30 minutes before the start of the run.
I will NOT be participating in any event which imposes such a demand.
Other T1s may wish to consider what they will do before such a demand becomes routine.

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is unacceptable bearing in mind that physical work for a diabetic is just as dangerous. I thought that is what we have a diabetic nurse for advice. I have a physical job before i start i eat quite a bit 1st i sometime double my carb ratio almost from 20g per 1 unit to 30 to 40 so sugars pretty much stay above hypo numbers. I'm sure if they know diabetics are running there is sugar available for them during the race anyway. If anyone is doing this i would great to find out how you get on and how your sugar levels are before if need be during and after.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I was shocked reading this notice and this is unbelievable :-
T1 protocol, -just convince the T1DM Steward of your independence by showing your pump, MDI therapy or scars. Good god, show our scars :arghh: :mad:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:banghead::bored::mad::nailbiting::grumpy::stop::sour::shifty::banghead:

If I were doing this race I would not register for that prize category, and just run the race without having to prove anything, as those demands only look as if they apply to that prize category.

I'm still jolly miffed at the principle, though. I mean goodness me, I'm a grown-up and am well aware of how to judge my safety according to what number I start a run with.

On my first two parkruns (when I was still working out my ratios/timing/basal timetable for exercising at 9am rather than my normal 6.30am) I started once at 17mmol/l and once at 4mmol/l. Bit of pump-fiddling the first tine, and just disconnecting it completely the second time, I not only survived but did well.

:)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

A recent 2 mile run in Sydney demanded that Type 1s provide an acceptable blood sugar reading in the 30 minutes before the start of the run.
I will NOT be participating in any event which imposes such a demand.
Other T1s may wish to consider what they will do before such a demand becomes routine.[/QU

I wonder what they consider to be too low? This is wrong on so many levels...

Next run, why not suggest they have hygiene police guarding the toilets and everybody has to line up to show they have washed their hands - that way everybody can be treated like a four year old.

Reactions: tim2000s

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Unbelievable , what do they consider too low ? There are no figures mentioned.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolute bull$@&t, tell them where to stick that race, plenty of others around

Getting_Fit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all living in U.K. t1 for over 30 years - taking lantus at night and humalog in carb counting regime ... I have recently started running and did couch to 5 k as part of a group and now joined a club where we do club runs and track. I have struggled with understanding how to get the right BS levels without going low. Just running between 5-10k runs ....with some walking to cath breath! Not sure where to start with BS levels and when to take humalog and not sure I understand how the glucose from carbs eaten are absorbed without insulin! Help!,,,,ta

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all living in U.K. t1 for over 30 years - taking lantus at night and humalog in carb counting regime ... I have recently started running and did couch to 5 k as part of a group and now joined a club where we do club runs and track. I have struggled with understanding how to get the right BS levels without going low. Just running between 5-10k runs ....with some walking to cath breath! Not sure where to start with BS levels and when to take humalog and not sure I understand how the glucose from carbs eaten are absorbed without insulin! Help!,,,,ta

Hi there,
Take a look at www.teambloodglucose.com for info.

It's safest to exercise without insulin on board, because during exercise your Glut4 transporters (the insulin sensitive receptors that enable glucose to be taken out of the blood) are activated and mobilised by muscle contraction alone, so insulin isn't actually required. If you have circulating insulin on board as well, it means that your muscles are doubly sensitised and it leaves you open to the possibility of rapid blood glucose fall.

If you're serious about doing more activity, it might be worth considering going low carb. That way your body becomes adapted to burning fats and you can run a 10k without having to worry about low (and if you're fit) high bloods.

Reactions: Getting_Fit