Running and heart rate

massi_f

Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic (diagnosed 11 years ago), I'm 45 years old and I only recently incorporated bolus insulin, for nearly 10 years I only needed a single injection of Lantus a day. After a couple of hba1c tests that highlighted I could no longer manage the blood sugar I'm now taking Novorapid before the meals. My last hba1c tests were around 44 so it looks like I'm back on track.

But I've noticed a big difference in my daily exercise: I usually run between 8 and 20km, 5 times a week and I was able to run very easily, I mean...my max heart rate is around 172bpm and I could stay below 130bpm in my easy days. Now that my blood sugar is within 'normal' values my heart rate is much higher, around 140bpm for easy days, and I obviously feel a lot tired than I used to.

To give a full picture, I also switched from a low carb diet to a plant based, high carbs diet last year, and this is one of the reason I generally feel better and the diet is definitely helping to manage my blood sugar better.

As engineer, it feels counterintuitive having the body (the heart in this case) to work harder in a non-optimal condition, like having a high blood sugar. Any ideas?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Interestingly, I experienced the same thing. I remember, before being diagnosed as type 1, it was difficult to get my heart rate able 130 bpm. I remember being yelled at when completing a 2K rowing test, that I wasn't trying hard enough as I was the only person in the room with a low heart rate.
This doesn't happen anymore. I believe it's to do with training with very low insulin level (before diagnosis), forces your muscles to use fat instead of glycogen and will allow you to exercise longer while saving more energy.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4113752/

Reactions: massi_f

massi_f

That makes a lot of sense, thanks @ert
I'm glad it wasn't just me :) I'd really like to find a middle ground, as those easy runs were quite a pride for me :)
By the way, it's been a while since my last 2k test on the ergo...my God, such a strenuous effort...really not fun at all!!