Sailing anyone?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering if anyone else was into sailing? I've had boats for most of my life but sold my last cruiser a few years ago when it became clear I was going to spend too much time travelling with work to be able to get out as much as I liked, I hate seeing boats that spend their entire time tied up in Marinas, they are like living things to me and a boat thats not sailing is a very sad thing indeed as far as I'm concerned.

Well, now I'm semi retired I'm looking at buying another sailing cruiser, looked over a couple down at the club this weekend and will make my mind up once the sailing season starts up again and I can get a few hours back at the helm again on a mates boat.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to do some through school for a couple of years, but didn't carry it on. Stuck with the rugby instead. These days, I'm the same as you, too much time working and travelling.

My dad took it up when he was in Saudi though, nice and warm, sailing lasers. These days he keeps a Whammel on Ullswater for summer use. I'll try and get a go in it when I go up there for a race later this year.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Go for it.
I've thought about it a lot, and hired boats, but decided it was just a bit too slow for me. I'd rather drive somewhere and spend the time sightseeing, but the getting there is enjoyable, at whatever pace you enjoy.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I learned when I was at school as well, but I did keep it up through a series of dinghies and larger cruiser/club racers, finally as it got a bit unsafe for my aging Father i sold the last sailer and bought Larger twin diesel motor yacht instead which I had for 10 years, but my first love is sailing so that is where I am headed now. Plenty of nice weekend destinations available from where I live, Bouloigne, Etaples, etc.

Power is nice and playing with RIBs quite a lot of fun, but I find tearing around at high speed rather dull ultimately, I like to enjoy the journey while sailing which is never dull in a vehicle which is effectively on a road which itself moves almost as fast, but usually not in the same direction. Just trying to decide if I want another club racer type or something a bit more sturdy but less lively.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am green with jealousy I love sailing but have not had the time or the wherewithall to do much I love being on the water in anything that floats Even the ferry from Liverpool to Dublin can be good there are lots of seabirds and an occasional dolphin to see ,but most travelers sit and watch TV only going on deck for a fag:eek:
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One way in is to join a sailing club as a social member, you will soon get invited to go out for a sail provided its not one of those "all rise for the cruising commodore" type places, I hate those, almost as bad as golf clubs.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am afraid that is all there are around here now Private sailing clubs on reservoirs just like golf clubs only snootier !!
carol

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
shame, that sucks and I don't really understand why people even want to be that way. Its not like that here or at the club where I learned, mind you I'm not much of a joiner and tend to avoid all that cliquey rubbish.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No we are not "joiners" either I also hate to see sailing boats that I would die for sat in a marina almost all year round .Do some people get the boat after the 2 cars caravan and 2 kids
CAROL

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly many people see them as status symbols and nothing more. I'm not fond of these white plastic gin palaces, I prefer the older boats with a bit of character which are not so popular with the snobby types, but are certainly very capable sea boats.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last boat we sailed was a little sailing boat built specially to teach children it had 2 hulls like a small cat which fixed together with 2 boards and a canvas insert it all cleverly fitted together with rudder and simple basic sails .We took it down to the Llhyn P eninsular and had a great time ,it could really shift . It killed the car though because we took it down on a roof rack and one of the car wheels came off with the weight:( It was really designed to be carried by 2 cars or a trailer It was worth it though:)
CAROL

Reactions: 3 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not much danger of that with Mrs Bears current car (i don't drive), its a convertible, can't even get the kayak on the roof of this one! If I want to go out I have to drag it on a hand trolley to the beach or harbour.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer the older boats with a bit of character which are not so popular with the snobby types, but are certainly very capable sea boats.

I've sailed on the Giethorn Punter below, Hans, the owner took me out on it at the Klassieke Schepen in Enkhuizen in Holland a few years ago

Homefoto.jpg

It's a Zuiderzee Punter, shallow draft flat bottomed boat with leeboards. It's excellent for cruising where it may have to take the ground. With a sprit rig, it's easy to build the tent for accomodation:

Opkomend-water.jpg

Very good for cruising the Wash, Norfolk Broads or Morecambe Bay. It can also be rowed or punted.

They used to be used to move cattle along the drains in holland or to bring the hay but they proved to be fine fishing boats too and very stable when loaded, rather like a flat bottomed dory.

historie-boer-punter-kruidenier.jpg

A slightly different type, the Houten Punter: http://www.punterwerf.nl/

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those are beautiful boats, I saw a similar one a few years back in Southampton. I'd really love to have something like a gaff rigged Cornish Crabber or an Oyster smack but they are out of my price range now I'm downsizing. I'm thinking something like a Westerley 26 or 27, still a plastic boat but very tough and with more traditional lines than the modern gin palaces.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: well in the end I looked at quite a few older boats including a rather beautiful 35 foot bowsprit cutter which very nearly caught me, but having to consider how much creakier I am in the knee deprtment these days I decided to buy a slightly more modern 26 footer rigged for single handing so I'll not have to spend quite so much time standing on a heaving foredeck and hoping the tillerpilot will keep me on track while I sort out the sails.

The sale finally went through this afternoon (its taken three weeks to complete the formalities) so she is now ours.

The last two boats I bought were both purchased two days before either a hurricane (no damage surprisingly, it was the only undamaged boat in the yard), and a force 9 gale (around £500 worth of damage to the sprayhood which I think was last seen heading towards northern France on its own), so I now look forward to being stuck in harbour bemoaning the weather while the inevitable storms rage for the next few days. All I can do is apologise for the inconvenience.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update: well in the end I looked at quite a few older boats including a rather beautiful 35 foot bowsprit cutter which very nearly caught me, but having to consider how much creakier I am in the knee deprtment these days I decided to buy a slightly more modern 26 footer rigged for single handing so I'll not have to spend quite so much time standing on a heaving foredeck and hoping the tillerpilot will keep me on track while I sort out the sails.

The sale finally went through this afternoon (its taken three weeks to complete the formalities) so she is now ours.

The last two boats I bought were both purchased two days before either a hurricane (no damage surprisingly, it was the only undamaged boat in the yard), and a force 9 gale (around £500 worth of damage to the sprayhood which I think was last seen heading towards northern France on its own), so I now look forward to being stuck in harbour bemoaning the weather while the inevitable storms rage for the next few days. All I can do is apologise for the inconvenience.

In which case, you should have bought a boat in a more exotic location. Ahem. Some people do that, you know. ;)

Or more seriously, fair winds to you, and enjoy her.

robin123

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sailing in Devon, Also I am writing my sailing experiences and its health benefits, sailing really helps in diabetes, reducing stress, body relaxation and it is very healthy.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
Cruiser sailing is OK with diabetes as long as you are skipper and can control events.
Sailors are notoriously unhealthy, in my experience, and will eat all sorts of junk [not to mention the booze].
Best to stick with summer Med or Caribbean cruising - I'm giving up cross-channel trips!