Salted Butter

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unsalted butter or margarine. "Salt is the silent killer". Not directly for Diabetes but for high blood pressure, and with Diabetes you do not want high blood pressure. It becomes an acquired taste to do without salt but after you get used to it you will find that heavily salted foods will be hard to tolerate. Don't worry, we all need salt, but it is in just about anything we eat. Take the salt shaker off the table. Butter or Margarine is indeed controversial. Butter was good for you then it was bad ... Margarine became the new "grease" for our palettes and the quality varied by manufacturer. Now we are told butter is good. Personally I use Salt-Free Becel margarine. 0 salt, 0 carbs. Salt shaker stays in the cupboard except for rare occasions. Dinner guests look for the salt on the table and it stays that way unless asked for it. Salt does not enhance the flavour of foods. Instead it simply perks up the taste buds on your tongue. Ever have a sore tongue after eating something? Most likely too much salt.

Climbing down off my salt box now but dramatically reducing salt in your diet is good for your overall health and we all know that good health practices and healthy eating is good for Diabetics.

On a strict LCHF( as in less than 30g carbs/day) diet, there isn't as much requirement to reduce salt intake. Once you ditch the processed foods, ready meals etc, and cooking from scratch, you really need to start adding a little salt, simply because you aren't getting it from other dietary sources. As for the butter/margarine/spread argument........anything which has been made spreadable is likely to have been hydrogenated in the process, therefore your Becel spread may not be as healthy as you think.

cjj

Forget the trendy lefty brigade and eat butter, moderately, obviously. The rest of the hyped hydrogenated **** in supermarkets stay well away from.

Reactions: Dodo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Forget the trendy lefty brigade and eat butter, moderately, obviously. The rest of the hyped hydrogenated **** in supermarkets stay well away from.

agreed apart from the words "moderately, obviously" ;)

Reactions: cjj

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@abcd99 When eating a low carb high(er) fat diet your kidneys tend to flush out more fluid, and as a result you're liable to lose more vital minerals (e.g. salt, magnesium and potassium) which need to be replaced, so you often see advice to drink broth on this type of diet, and which is why IMO salted butter is an essential part of an LCHF diet.

. I think, but am not 100% sure, that eating a diet high in fat AND carbohydrates is unhealthy, so that anyone adopting a LCHF diet must make sure they are truly eating very low carb before they increase their fat intake to compensate, and if they later raise their carb intake they must be sure to lower their fat intake again.

If you are eating both high carbs and high fats, since the body prefers the easy fuel route it will preferentially use the carbs and any surplus fuel/fat gets stored. This preference apparently also means that being carb oriented, your body no longer has access to this stored fat so you'll end up putting on weight. Cutting the carbs right back and keeping them down means eventually your body will be forced to switch over to both fat and carb burning (again).

.(I think this may actually have been part of my weight problem as I was used to, and have always eaten, full fat food. When my husband took over the cooking, we also ended up with a very carb diet and I ended up putting on a lot of weight - having spent the first 30 odd years of my life mainly underweight... whereas he's always tended to be a low fat/margerine type eater ,,,:yuck:)

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

abcd99

@abcd99 When eating a low carb high(er) fat diet your kidneys tend to flush out more fluid, and as a result you're liable to lose more vital minerals (e.g. salt, magnesium and potassium) which need to be replaced, so you often see advice to drink broth on this type of diet, and which is why IMO salted butter is an essential part of an LCHF diet.

If you are eating both high carbs and high fats, since the body prefers the easy fuel route it will preferentially use the carbs and any surplus fuel/fat gets stored. This preference apparently also means that being carb oriented, your body no longer has access to this stored fat so you'll end up putting on weight. Cutting the carbs right back and keeping them down means eventually your body will be forced to switch over to both fat and carb burning (again).

.(I think this may actually have been part of my weight problem as I was used to, and have always eaten, full fat food. When my husband took over the cooking, we also ended up with a very carb diet and I ended up putting on a lot of weight - having spent the first 30 odd years of my life mainly underweight... whereas he's always tended to be a low fat/margerine type eater ,,,:yuck:)

Robbity
Your smiles make me very happy......God bless all. Thanks.