1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Salted Butter

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by abcd99, Feb 13, 2018.

1. abcd99

abcd99 · Well-Known Member

Can a type 1 diabetic eat butter or salted butter. I heard about low carbs high fat diet. This diet will control your sugar,but what about chlorostral. I am confused. Please advice. Thanks

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @abcd99 Butter whether salted or unsalted is a fat so if you're trying to lower your cholesterol then maybe only use small amounts or try to replace with healthier fats such as vegetable based ones but on a low carb/high fat diet it's absolutely fine.

https://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet

• Like Like x 1
  3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The belief now is that it is the excessive carbs turning to fat, not the actual animal fats, that cause the cholesterol. Do lots of reading and make your own mind up.
    To function with low carb you must eat the fats to satiate your hunger. Lots of people eating this way have reduced their cholesterol and been able to ditch the statins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. abcd99

Thank you so much for your reply. I will go through the link that you have sent. Want to know what is vegetable based fats. Have a nice day.

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

You might not have the same results, of course, but on a LCHF diet with real fats and no worrying, my triglycerides were 2 after 3 months and 1.5 after 6 - so with a test group of one person I found that the fats increase bad cholesterol advice to be wrong - all my ratios were normal good or idea..
    It is what happens when someone gets an idea into their heads and goes all out to prove themselves right, with no regard of the data, and it seems so plausible after all.
    All I wanted to do was reduce my blood glucose, and that worked wonderfully too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. abcd99

Oh!! that is very useful information that you gave me. Day by day I am learning how harmful too much carbs can be.....so I think a small quantity of butter is not harmful.......Thanks a lot for your reply. Have a nice day.

7. abcd99

I am so happy for you. Did you include also butter in your high fat diet......if yes, how much. What do you exactly mean by real fats....Thanks for your reply.

8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

controversial....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Don’t under any circumstance eat seed or vegetable oils, nasty stuff on any diet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @wiflib Can you tell us why ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. abcd99

Thanks for your reply. Can you name some vegetable based fats for me........what do you eat mostly. Is butter ok then.......thanks again.

12. leking

leking Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Butter is fine. Salted butter is fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I would have butter over processed veg oils any day. The whole manufacturing process of veg oils/margarines and their levels of omega 6 are, in my opinion, not healthy.
    Olive oil and avocado oil (fruits not seeds or veg) are fine although I prefer butter or animal fats over these too. That is of course just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. abcd99

Hi wiflib..how are you today. Now what exactly you mean by seed or vegetable oils...can you explain in bit details......thanks a lot.

15. abcd99

Thank you.......that is good news for my son who eats butter in breakfast. Have a nice day.

16. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Surely virtually all edible oils are made from seeds or vegetables?

17. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Yes, I use butter but as I have fats from meat I cook I do not use a lot day to day but it is the stuff I use rather than a spread or solidified oil.

18. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Butter is fine. A person's serum cholesterol value is largely determined by their unique genetic makeup, not their diet. Your body regulates it, some people can eat fats containing cholesterol up the yazoo and it stays low, some people can eat no fat and it stays high.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

We actually agree on something! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I wouldn't call many of them healthy though. Far too much omega 6 in most of them, which although esential, is a baddie in quantity. It is inflammatory. We need a better ratio between omega 6 and omega 3 because the omega 3 in anti-inflammatory. According to science, a decent ratio is as small as possible. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

It pays to read all the ingredients and check the oils used for omega content.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook