Sample from different fingers

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I have noticed a couple of times now that the sample I take from my left hand is lower than the sample I take from my right hand. This morning I took some (fasting) blood from the middle finger of my right hand and it was 5.8. I thought that was a bit high, and immediately took a sample from the ring finger of my left hand. It tested 5.1.

I read somewhere that there may be a difference in the blood sugar contents between different fingers, but 0.7 is quite a difference. Why does it test so differently? I had washed my hands before testing so it can't be down to some residue.

Does anybody know the answer or is it one of the mysteries we have to live with?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
I can only guess that your prominent hand/arm has a better circulation system, and the blood supply is refreshed more often ? this would cause a difference I think:confused:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
This is common and normal. You can also get different readings from the same drops of blood on the same finger ! Our meters are a decent guide but not accurate.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It all varies from finger to finger.

Even arm to arm for blood pressure. That is also why we don't test from other areas, as they are known to have wider variances.

I think we have to accept as our bodies vary so much. We can lose circulation in one foot and not another, look at people that get meningitis and lose digits or limbs..if our whole bodies reacted consistently, identically, symetrically we wouldn't stand a chance. Cancer wouldn't just go to one kidney it would be both etc...

Think we have to accept and choose the digits that work best for us.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is common and normal. You can also get different readings from the same drops of blood on the same finger ! Our meters are a decent guide but not accurate.

Thanks. There must be a reason behind it, but I just find it odd. It'll be tempting now to check the other hand if I find my BS levels a bit high. Easy way to 'cheat' when recording our readings.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks. There must be a reason behind it, but I just find it odd. It'll be tempting now to check the other hand if I find my BS levels a bit high. Easy way to 'cheat' when recording our readings.
Be nice if we could just keep testing various fingers until we found a reading we liked :)

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Be nice if we could just keep testing various fingers until we found a reading we liked :)

Problem is, we end up looking like a pin cushion. ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's so weird - I was just thinking the same thing! I just got 10.4 reading post brekkie from index finger (been avoiding that one) for first time for same food as yesterday.

I'm feeling lost!!!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm grateful that the technology exists at reasonable cost to get a BG reading mostly within 10% from a droplet of blood in the comfort of your own home!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's so weird - I was just thinking the same thing! I just got 10.4 reading post brekkie from index finger (been avoiding that one) for first time for same food as yesterday.

I'm feeling lost!!!

Deb, that happens to me (and others) also. Sometimes we can eat something with no rise in blood sugar and at other times it spikes us. Sometimes we can eat it in the morning, but not in the evenings.... it's very odd.

The best thing to do is to keep checking it quite a few times and if it ever goes above the recommended limits, have it only occasionally.

I think the general advice is that fasting BS levels should be below 6, one hour after meal no more than 8 and two hours after a meal down to less than 6.5. Anything that reads 10.4 a couple of hours after eating should be avoided or eaten only rarely (even if it didn't raise your blood sugar levels yesterday).

I find that if I don't eat something for a while (say, two weeks or longer) and then have a small portion, it doesn't raise my BS levels, but if I then have it again the next day (or shortly afterwards), it does. I succumbed to some biscuits after not eating any for about 6 weeks and my BS levels were 5.4 after two hours. I thought 'how wonderful....'. A few days later I had some more of the same biscuits and after two hours my BS was still over 9.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried to prick middle finger and got hardly anything out so test strip failed! Then did ring finger on same setting and bammo! Loads of blood.

Funny how fingers on the same hand have different flow too.

It's quite interesting seeing all this stuff and learning about my body.

Reactions: 4 people