Sardines

e.mcgovern1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Everyone
Just a quick question. Sardines etc are good for us, but can they be covered in tomato sauce (cans of) or can they only be eaten whilst in brine???
Mike

Mileana

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories- ... uce-i96177

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories- ... ne-i129242

if you compare these two, it seems you get 3 carbohydrates out of a serving of sardines in tomato (around 100-120g sardines).

That is a low amount. I would not be concerned. Of course if the tomato sauce is different from the product I chose and has added sugar stuff, I would be more careful, but plain tom sauce seems alright.

Even most low carbers on here could deal with that in this amount.

Defren

Sardines in tomato sauce are fine. I am an ultra low carber, and wouldn't have a problem with them at all.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes I eat loads as do my dogs as they're good for dogs too. One of those small rectangular cans has about 1.6g of carbs which is brilliant.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Any oily fish has fantastic health benefits.....so eat away!

shop

Love them and so does my son! Shame hubby doesn't like them, Ah well!!! more for me and my boy :D

Theyre easy to get in an extra portion of oily fish at lunchtime :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
shop said:
Theyre easy to get in an extra portion of oily fish at lunchtime :thumbup:

I love those little cans of Mackerel in tomato sauce with the ring-pull top :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, :)

If the supermarket's find out we like Sardines, They will over-inflate the price. :silent:

There is also John West Steamed Mackerel in a pull type can, ( about £1.49p ).
Has anyone got advice on this item for our use.

Roy. :thumbup:

Defren

roydove said:
Hi, :)

If the supermarket's find out we like Sardines, They will over-inflate the price. :silent:

There is also John West Steamed Mackerel in a pull type can, ( about £1.49p ).
Has anyone got advice on this item for our use.

Roy. :thumbup:

John West steamed Mackerel 110g tin:-

267 Calories
19g Fat
400g Sodium
1g carbs
24g protein.

Mileana

I hate the ring pull tuna - it sent my blood sugar through the roof...

...when I cut my finger on the lid when it sprang open and had 4 stiches done by a nurse out of a Stephen King movie...

Misery, that was...

:lol: :lol:

shop

Mileana said:
I hate the ring pull tuna - it sent my blood sugar through the roof...

...when I cut my finger on the lid when it sprang open and had 4 stiches done by a nurse out of a Stephen King movie...

Misery, that was...

:lol: :lol:

Mileana,

The ring pull tuna I like but it doesn't have the same health benefits as does fresh tuna which I dont like :( That is why I f I want to eat more oily fish ( for its health benefits ) I will have fresh salmon/trout. Tinned sardines or mackrel ( they do have the same benefits as fresh strangely enough!!)

The tinned tuna must be in oil though!! Cant stand it in brine EWWWW!! :lol: I still eat it just dont count it as one of my weekly portions of oily fish.

Hope the finger is OK now OUCH!!!

Lucy

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mackarel. I bloody love Mackarel. I can't wait to try the new Mackarel in Curry Sauce that I have in my cupboard! lunch yesterday was salad with tinned Mackarel in Mustard sauce.

Tinned Sardines I will eat - but only after removing the bones, and that gets fiddly... (I know the bones in tinned sardines are edible - but I just don't like the texture of teh bones... :sick: )

Also - I've reads somewher that tinned fish in oil is much healthier than the stuff in brine. Some nutrients soak out of the fish and into th brne - and where does the brine go? Down the sink!

I still buy tuna in spring water, but I probably will start getting the stuff that comes in olive oil...

shop

Patch said:
Mackarel. I bloody love Mackarel. I can't wait to try the new Mackarel in Curry Sauce that I have in my cupboard! lunch yesterday was salad with tinned Mackarel in Mustard sauce.

Tinned Sardines I will eat - but only after removing the bones, and that gets fiddly... (I know the bones in tinned sardines are edible - but I just don't like the texture of teh bones... :sick: )

Also - I've reads somewher that tinned fish in oil is much healthier than the stuff in brine. Some nutrients soak out of the fish and into th brne - and where does the brine go? Down the sink!

I still buy tuna in spring water, but I probably will start getting the stuff that comes in olive oil...

Patch,

One of my best memories is when my uncle and cousin had caught a load of fresh mackarel, while on holiday caravaning. We barbequed them, I think in foil and just ate them with vinegar. I dont think I have ever had them so tasty. I have bought some and cooked it at home and put vinegar on it. It just didnt taste the same.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
shop said:
One of my best memories is when my uncle and cousin had caught a load of fresh mackarel, while on holiday caravaning. We barbequed them, I think in foil and just ate them with vinegar. I dont think I have ever had them so tasty. I have bought some and cooked it at home and put vinegar on it. It just didnt taste the same.

Best way to eat them, I also do them in tinfoil and sprinkle with ground black pepper and slices of fresh garlic, great on the BBQ as you say or in the oven :thumbup:

shop

noblehead said:
shop said:

Best way to eat them, I also do them in tinfoil and sprinkle with ground black pepper and slices of fresh garlic, great on the BBQ as you say or in the oven :thumbup:

Sounds delicious Nigel, I'll try that! :) :thumbup:

Defren

Thanks to this thread, while I was out grocery shopping today I bought some Sardines and Mackerel. I have not had either for a very long time, and this thread brought back some very happy memories, remembering having sardines with my Grandmother on a Saturday evening. :D

shop

Defren said:
Thanks to this thread, while I was out grocery shopping today I bought some Sardines and Mackerel. I have not had either for a very long time, and this thread brought back some very happy memories, remembering having sardines with my Grandmother on a Saturday evening. :D

:thumbup: :) :thumbup:

owain2

I love tinned sardines in olive oil.

I pour away the dubious oil from the can and substitute it with my own EV olive oil. I squeeze on the juice from half a lemon, a good half teaspoonful of dried oregano, sea salt and black pepper. I mash it all together and add green beans that I've "nuked" and cooled under the cold tap.

The result is a LC/HF treat with a flavour reminiscent of Greek holidays. Of course if you can tolerate a couple of small slices of Bergen toast smothered in butter, so much the better! Without the beans one tin covers the toast nicely.

Owain