Saturated fat?

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are studies that show saturated fat increases insulin resistance. Highly processed oils with high Omega 6 are probably even worse and most experts from vegan plant-based to keto recommend avoiding them. Some say extra virgin olive oil is great and some say avoid all oils. Some say butter, especially grass-fed, is healthy and some say too much saturated fat.

When on a LCHF (or keto) diet do you pay attention to how much of the fat is saturated fat?

What are your staple high fat foods?

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are studies that show saturated fat increases insulin resistance.
So far every one of these I have seen has come from an unreliable source usually with an agenda.
Highly processed oils with high Omega 6 are probably even worse and most experts from vegan plant-based to keto recommend avoiding them.
Yep agree processed seed oils are not good
Some say extra virgin olive oil is great and some say avoid all oils.
I tend to rely on animal fats over any other kind of fat
When on a LCHF (or keto) diet do you pay attention to how much of the fat is saturated fat?
Not especially I just eat whatever comes along with my food.
Steak, pork, bacon, higher fat mince.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The human female produces milk for her young, this breast milk is (roughly) made up of 50% saturated fat . Why would evolution have modern humans put their offspring at a disadvantage? Trying to avoid sat fat is almost impossible, even Olive oil has some sat fat in it. There is emerging evidence that sat fat may even be cardio protective.

Reactions: Ketocate

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are studies that show saturated fat increases insulin resistance. Highly processed oils with high Omega 6 are probably even worse and most experts from vegan plant-based to keto recommend avoiding them. Some say extra virgin olive oil is great and some say avoid all oils. Some say butter, especially grass-fed, is healthy and some say too much saturated fat.

Olive oil,butter, coconut oil...and I have had a heart attack [30 years ago] and quadruple by pass surgery almost 17 years ago.
Just keep reading the literature, those old and incorrect theories re saturated fats were disproved many years ago.

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Olive oil,butter, coconut oil...and I have had a heart attack [30 years ago] and quadruple by pass surgery almost 17 years ago.
Just keep reading the literature, those old and incorrect theories re saturated fats were disproved many years ago.

What were you eating back in the days you had a heart attack and bypass surgery? I assume you changed you diet for the better and it has kept your heart healthier.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What were you eating back in the days you had a heart attack and bypass surgery? I assume you changed you diet for the better and it has kept your heart healthier.

Yes I followed the low fat low cholesterol WOE that was recommended at the time. As time went by I learned that it had no solid basis in science and I consequently dumped it. I switched to LCHF and all my markers improved . I am now 7 years on this LCHF diet and nothing negative has happened to my cardio situation.I still endeavour to walk at least six days a week to keep "my moving parts" in working order.

Reactions: kitedoc and Sapien

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes I followed the low fat low cholesterol WOE that was recommended at the time. As time went by I learned that it had no solid basis in science and I consequently dumped it. I switched to LCHF and all my markers improved . I am now 7 years on this LCHF diet and nothing negative has happened to my cardio situation.I still endeavour to walk at least six days a week to keep "my moving parts" in working order.

I should of mentioned that before my heart attack I used to smoke 80 cigarettes a day.I think that that was the most significant change I made ie stopped smoking or more accurately smoking stopped me, almost at least.