Type 2 Saturated fat?

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am back on the low carb wagon. I've been using an app to track my carbs etc. Each day my saturated fat is nearly double what they recommend. I'm not Lchf or keto just 60-80g of carbs per day. Is this harmful? Should I try to reduce it? Thanks

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No, saturated fat does not cause heart disease if that is your concern.

Reactions: andi2508

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, saturated fat does not cause heart disease if that is your concern.

Thanks for replying. Yes that's my main concern. I know that high fat is fine if you're low carb but I'm moderate carb so I was worried that the higher saturated fat wasn't a good thing. So I can have a halloumi salad for lunch then

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am back on the low carb wagon. I've been using an app to track my carbs etc. Each day my saturated fat is nearly double what they recommend. I'm not Lchf or keto just 60-80g of carbs per day. Is this harmful? Should I try to reduce it? Thanks

Hi Andy, your app is telling you that you are eating twice as much saturated fat as their recommendation. Is that right? What is their recommended amount?

If you are not eating very much carbohydrate, your body will need fuel from somewhere else. It will burn fat that you eat as fuel. If you dont eat enough of that either, it will turn to your stored fuel, your body fat.

I have been LCHF for a few years and, as I am fairly skinny, I have to focus on eating enough fat to avoid loosing weight. There is a lot of infomation out there showing that saturated fat is not as bad as many tell us. Having done a lot of research I have taken my own decision to ignore the normal advice and eat as much saturated fat as I can.

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andy, your app is telling you that you are eating twice as much saturated fat as their recommendation. Is that right? What is their recommended amount?

If you are not eating very much carbohydrate, your body will need fuel from somewhere else. It will burn fat that you eat as fuel. If you dont eat enough of that either, it will turn to your stored fuel, your body fat.

I have been LCHF for a few years and, as I am fairly skinny, I have to focus on eating enough fat to avoid loosing weight. There is a lot of infomation out there showing that saturated fat is not as bad as many tell us. Having done a lot of research I have taken my own decision to ignore the normal advice and eat as much saturated fat as I can.

Thanks for your reply. The app seems to say about 18g of saturated fat per day, I'm well above that as Im eating cheese, butter etc I'm eating about 70g on average of carbs and low sugar, I'm not in ketosis and I don't want to be. I just don't want statins if my cholesterol goes up, it was 5.8 last time and they recommended them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not in ketosis and I don't want to be. I just don't want statins if my cholesterol goes up, it was 5.8 last time and they recommended them.

Why don't you want to be in ketosis?

Agree completely on not wanting statins so simply refuse them.

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't you want to be in ketosis?

Agree completely on not wanting statins so simply refuse them.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking ketosis ive tried it many times but it's just not for me, I hate the restriction of carbs to that degree, I still want to include some carbs in my diet like a slice of wholemeal bread, some fruit or even a potato with dinner. I've been back low carbing for a week and my readings have fallen so I'm happy doing it this way for now

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking ketosis ive tried it many times but it's just not for me, I hate the restriction of carbs to that degree, I still want to include some carbs in my diet like a slice of wholemeal bread, some fruit or even a potato with dinner. I've been back low carbing for a week and my readings have fallen so I'm happy doing it this way for now

OK thanks for that clarification.. many seem to think that ketosis is "bad" somehow so wanted to make sure you didn't.
Food addiction is hard to overcome I agree, we all have to eat after all.

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply. The app seems to say about 18g of saturated fat per day, I'm well above that as Im eating cheese, butter etc I'm eating about 70g on average of carbs and low sugar, I'm not in ketosis and I don't want to be. I just don't want statins if my cholesterol goes up, it was 5.8 last time and they recommended them.

Andy, I have been asked to go onto statins for maybe 15 years but have politely declined the invitation. Since going LCHF I have seen a rise in my blood lipid levels. As I am fueling myself on fat, I take this as a positive. :)