Saturated Fats

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am confused. Terminology is a problem. When NHS & manufacturers speak of Saturated Fats do they simply mean "animal fats"? If so then why don't they say "animal fats"? Also what are these fats "saturated" with?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I think this video explains the differences between types of fats, and their relevance, extremely well.

The video is taken from a series of presentations at the Public Health Collaboration Conference in (I think) June 2016.
The PHCUK is a fairly new organisation, with a number of highly qualified and well informed members (doctors, dietitians, consultants) who are tired of the misinformation used to justify government dietary advice and strategy.

This is a thread showing links to the other presentations, if you are interested in watching them.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/phcuk-conference-videos.103686/page-1

Last edited:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Also what are these fats "saturated" with?
Hydrogen.

Fats which are not saturated (un-saturates) have some hydrogen atoms "missing" from the long chains of molecules making them up. This changes some of their properties for example, they are more reactive (ie go off quicker) and are more likely to be liquid at room temperature. Any fat that you eat, be it lard, butter, olive oil, will contain a mix of saturated and un-saturated fats

As has been indicated above, enjoy and embrace real fats, butter, goose fat, coconut oil, lard, olive oil and avoid the bleached, coloured, de-odourised, artificially constructed products of the chemical industry, such as margarine and low fat spreads and you will be just fine.
Sally

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They don't say animal fats because the fat within animals is not all saturated, but is a mixture of saturated and unsaturated.
They are probably warning you against eating saturated fat, even though it a totally natural food for humans to consume. It doesn't cause the release of insulin, you can live quite happily breaking down your own stored fat reserves or the fat from what you have just eaten.

Reactions: Freema and jonbvn

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have cheese on toast with an egg on top only have lower carb bread like Burgen soya and linseed bread and only one slice occasionally.

@Brunneria what is the recipe for the flax seed crackers please as have been using flax seed lately.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there are about 300 different recipes out there... all using variations of whole or ground flax, water, maybe egg, herbs, salt and maybe cheese.

I used this one.
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/low-carb-rosemary-sea-salt-flax.html
Next time, I am going to use more herbs and more cheese. I am a 'more' kinda girl.
I suspect that once you have made one flaxseed cracker, the world is your lobster (to quote Arthur Daily) in terms of infinite variations.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOOO not Marmite!!!!!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What is wrong with Marmite?
Bleeeeuuuurrrgh! That's what. Horrid! Mr E doesnt get to kiss me if he has eaten it, not till the taste and smell have gone!!!

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A recent study showed that saturated fat isn't quite as bad for you as previously suggested.

Fried egg sarny anyone? :woot:

Had eggy bread for my evening meal last night - very nice.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bleeeeuuuurrrgh! That's what. Horrid! Mr E doesnt get to kiss me if he has eaten it, not till the taste and smell have gone!!!

I am one of those fortunate (?) people who have a limited sense of smell. I used to eat garlic to ward of colds until my wife told me she could no longer stand the smell - now I get more than my share of colds.

Reactions: Freema

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have cheese on toast with an egg on top only have lower carb bread like Burgen soya and linseed bread and only one slice occasionally.

@Brunneria what is the recipe for the flax seed crackers please as have been using flax seed lately.

Only one slice occasionally? What happens to the rest of the loaf?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The bread keeps well and there are three other people in the house who eat it not occasionally, sometimes I'm lucky if I get the one slice.

Reactions: Freema