1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sausages and burgers

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Barrowbakers, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Barrowbakers

Barrowbakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having been diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with type 2 I’ve got my HBA1C down to 5.8.
    Food at the start was difficult and did get a little boring but now even things like burgers and sausages, if you make the right choice are only 2g per portion. With salad and maybe a few low sugar/salt baked beans a simple meal albeit junk food!
    I know I am “lucky” I being diagnosed early but after losing 4 stone in a year with a low carb diet am no longer afraid of eating in restaurants.
    My worst big these days is under 7 and normally in the mid 5’s.
    Does anyone know if the odd Indian meal would harm?

2. Barrowbakers

Big = bg - predictive typing!

Edited by Mod

#2 Barrowbakers, Mar 29, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Indian can be ok depending on your choices, I usually go for tandoori or dry curry with a paneer saag side or fried ocra - one place we go to now and then does a fab tandoori mixed grill :)

4. Barrowbakers

Making me drool here!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

If you enjoy Asian food Sahil of HeadbangersKitchen on YouTube has some fantastic recipes (low carb of course). But as you are asking for Eat Outs I think the odd lowish carb Indian meal would be acceptable as long as you avoid the obvious culprits and test. Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, there's really only one way to find out whether it's OK for @Barrowbakers body. :). Just go light on the rice and naan and be careful of bean dishes (dahl etc).

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I usually go for a dry Tikka with a low carb veg dish (or used to before carnivory) aubergine, mushroom, spinach something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I avoid rice and bread. Also miss the masala as sometimes they have sugar or anything labelled sweet. I tend to have a butter chicken and a mushroom bajee with no rise at all on 2hrs. But I’m a wimp and if I could handle spice I’m sure I’d have more options.

9. Barrowbakers

What I really fancy and can’t have is a good chicken balti and naan!!!

10. HSSS

The chicken balti should be fine....the naan not so much. Perhaps explore other sides?

11. Barrowbakers

I think I shall have too! Is the balti sauce ok?

12. HSSS

It’s definitely worth trying. On the supermarket versions balti is usually one of the better ones. Test before and after same as any new food.

13. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I usually have a chicken madras and find that has minimal effect on BG. I then order myself a couple of meaty sides like lamb tikka and king prawn starters - the serious meat overload fills me up no end and makes me not miss the naan as the extra meat helps soak up the sauce. Know some people’s BG is sensitive to too much protein so as already said do test whatever you try but hopefully you should find a combination that satisfies your Indian takeout need but is within your limits for control too

14. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I love a good vindaloo. I'm good with it as long as I go easy on the rice and bread. for some reason dahl doesn't seem to have too great an impact. Guess we're all different. If I do have some bread then half a roti only nudges me up a little. I can live with that since it is not often so the odd 8 or 9 every few months shouldn't kill me. Best to test with your meter and that will give you a good idea.

15. Traceymac23

Traceymac23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps avoid the rice and nana breads

16. enb54

enb54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Going to "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" for lunch today. We usually get the "Little Hamburger" loaded and on lettuce instead of a bun, so carbs are approximately 50. Indian food like tandoori chicken is fine and the real yogurt with lemon or orange peel slices is great, but rice or naan bread is a big no-no for me. Thinking of Indian food reminds me of South African spiced beef samosas, which my brother-in-law used to make, they were absolutely delicious! Better stop thinking of food and get back to work...

• Like Like x 1
  17. jclare

jclare Type 2 · Member

Love vindaloo and Madras. Only very slight effect on bgs thankfully plus a side of chana dhal. The only bread I can have without any problems is Lidl low GI roll or Warburton low GI brown bread. At least I can have a sandwich!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook