Saw my consultant today

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was only a quick 5 minute thing as they were running half an hour late and I needed to catch my bus home as wasn't wanting to hang around for an hour waiting on the next one! Weight hasn't changed since January so that's fab news! First time in 1 year and 4 months I haven't lost anything! :) Hba1c sitting at 40 :) blood pressure on the low side but no time to discuss that, not sure if there's anything that can be done about that though? x

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drinking plenty of water can help keep blood pressure up, as can making sure you get enough salt. Small things, I know, but they are both pieces of advice given to POTS patients. I try to make sure I drink most of a glass of water before I get out of bed in the morning, otherwise getting down our very scary spiral staircase can be a challenge.

Congratulations!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done @kaylz91 you are doing brilliantly, I cannot advise on blood pressure, if it worries you get checked out at your GP. Although my understanding is that you are more prone to fainting or dizzy spells.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is a slow release salt tablet you GP can prescribe for you. If I recall correctly you are keeping your carbs low, if so you need more salt then someone eating carbs.

Otherwise it's the old trick of a stockcube in a mug of hot water, or home made stock. Marmite also works if you like it.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My carbs aren't particularly low, currently average 100-110g a day, I drink 3 and a half pints of water a day, 4 coffee's and the liquid I use to make my porridge so not like I'm skimping on fluids, the salt thing could be the trouble, I only really have salt on my potatoes and veg when boiling them as I'm not a big fan of adding it to my meals when at the table, my dad put me off of salt by eating salt sandwiches ya see! xx

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless you are eating readymeals or takeaways most days I expect that salt is the issue. (Readymeals have lots of salt)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't had either since I was diagnosed lol x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Soy sauce has quite a bit of salt too, and I believe marmite’s pretty salty. Are you a lover or a hater?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soy sauce has quite a bit of salt too, and I believe marmite’s pretty salty. Are you a lover or a hater?
I'm not keen on soy sauce and I'm afraid I'm a marmite hater! haha, I add salted butter to my porridge for breakfast, surely that's enough salt! lol x

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may have mentioned this in your other thread, but cup a soup has quite a bit of salt, relatively.

If you're really desperate, you can just have a spoon of salt with breakfast.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
How about an Oxo cube in water? A bit like the Spanish Caldo de pollo but made from beef bones. Or if you're vegetarian but stilldo fish, an organic veg stock cube and then loads of veg and a good dollop of fish sauce.
Can also recommend Itsu, seaweed thins

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may have mentioned this in your other thread, but cup a soup has quite a bit of salt, relatively.

If you're really desperate, you can just have a spoon of salt with breakfast.
Just checked chicken stuff out on Tesco, its only 1.25g salt, and far too carby! x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting slow release salt pills from your GP may be the easy option...
I'm at the nurse on Friday so will see what she says about it as it was a nightmare trying to get that appointment so don't really want to have to make another one x