Say It Ain't So; Lidl Discontinue Protein Rolls.

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My local Lidl has closed down, so today I made the trek to my next-nearest. Three weeks ago I had happily bought a small stash of protein rolls there, and I wanted to replenish my stocks.

Not only were there no rolls on display, there was no empty basket where the rolls should be. I asked a member of staff who told me 'we no longer do them.'When I questioned further, she told me 'not just this store, Head Office has discontinued them.'

If this is true, then perhaps we should each write to Lidl HQ to request that they reinstate them in the inventory?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought them yesterday in my local Lidl and on the way out I picked up their weekly magazine of what offers are coming up the next week and on the food page protein rolls so can't see they would stop them ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would imagine they are very popular, not just us on the forum, but fitness folk eat them. I was telling my grandson about them months ago, and he said he buys them all the time. Also my food conscious non-diabetic friend buys them. In our local shop the basket is often low compared to the other baskets. I can't see them discontinuing them.

XtractorFan

I would imagine they are very popular, not just us on the forum, but fitness folk eat them. I was telling my grandson about them months ago, and he said he buys them all the time. Also my food conscious non-diabetic friend buys them. In our local shop the basket is often low compared to the other baskets. I can't see them discontinuing them.

There's already a thread on these rolls: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/they-shrunk-the-lidl-rolls.106038/
But it seems to have gone quiet, perhaps no news is good news.....

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I haven't tried Lidl's rolls, but I can recommend CarbZone Low Carb Protein Rich Bread. It is very low carb (3.8g / 50g slice) and I think it is really tasty and filling. You can get it from Amazon, but watch the best before dates!

BuddyB

Type of diabetes
Carer
Just had the same problem in Lidls tonight. I've posted a question about it on the Lidls Facebook page, so hopefully we'll get answer. My post is in the Visitors Posts section if anyone would like to 'Like' it!

Edit: Also posted about it in the #LidlSurprise thread.

Reactions: 2 people

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had them in my local lidl this afternoon, I notice they do a low carb cobb as well. Need to find out just how low carb it is

BuddyB

Type of diabetes
Carer
On Facebook I got a reply passing me on to Customer Services. Filled in the enquiry form and will let you know what the reply says.

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Had them in my local lidl this afternoon, I notice they do a low carb cobb as well. Need to find out just how low carb it is

5300877 Low GI Multiseed Bread

Ingredients:
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Seeds [Sunflower Seeds (8%), Linseed (4%) Pumpkin Seeds (2%)], Wheat Gluten, Rye Flour, Yeast, Oats, Wheat Bran, Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Salt, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin), Wheat Malt Flour, Whey Powder (From Milk), Dextrose, Enzymes, Flour Improver (Ascorbic Acid), Raising Agent (Disodium Diphospate).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1206kJ/287kcal
Fat 8.5g
Of which saturates 1.0g
Carbohydrate 36.0g
Of which sugars 3.8g
Fibre 6.9g
Protein 13.2g
Salt 0.9g

Allergens:
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see ingredients in bold.

Useful Information:
Suitable for Vegetarians.

https://www.vegansociety.com/sites/default/files/Bakery Information.pdf
Page 34

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5300877 Low GI Multiseed Bread

Ingredients:
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Seeds [Sunflower Seeds (8%), Linseed (4%) Pumpkin Seeds (2%)], Wheat Gluten, Rye Flour, Yeast, Oats, Wheat Bran, Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Salt, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin), Wheat Malt Flour, Whey Powder (From Milk), Dextrose, Enzymes, Flour Improver (Ascorbic Acid), Raising Agent (Disodium Diphospate).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1206kJ/287kcal
Fat 8.5g
Of which saturates 1.0g
Carbohydrate 36.0g
Of which sugars 3.8g
Fibre 6.9g
Protein 13.2g
Salt 0.9g

Allergens:
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see ingredients in bold.

Useful Information:
Suitable for Vegetarians.

https://www.vegansociety.com/sites/default/files/Bakery Information.pdf
Page 34
Owwwww

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately it's true, i had an email from Lidl today saying they've discontinued them. Thats really pee'd me, and no doubt many others, off!

BuddyB

Type of diabetes
Carer
Yes, I've had a reply too -

Unfortunately this item is not available in our stores at the moment and I am unable to provide a specific date for its return. I am hopeful that this will be available in the future. In the meantime, I have passed your interest in this item to our Buying Department for their information.

Does the forum ever run campaigns for things like this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have sent an email. Perhaps if enough of us do this they may bring them back. Ha Ha. Pigs are flying.
:(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
People need to bombard Lidl with emails..

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a load on Saturday and am waiting for a reply from them re this possible discontinuation. We have had this happen before and the replies posted here from them are the same as back then so hopefully it is just another scare. Anyone who wants to contact them direct to voice their worries or questions can do so by going to the Facebook page and using the 'message thing on the right hand side. They respond in you FB messages as soon as they have an answer. https://www.facebook.com/lidluk/ ( the message them thing is closed when the stores are closed so maybe tomorrow would be a good time to start bombarding them with messages asking whats going on )