Scared after husband has an extremely high blood test result and needs insulin immediately

SD13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just as above really.

His blood tests results were so high that our doctor warned against going on holiday. The doctor spoke of losing his sight /foot and likely death within 10-15 years if he doesn't make lifestyle changes. My husband is still smoking and seems to think he just needs to avoid sugar. Given the doctors stark warning, I am thinking this is v v serious. Looking for some kind advice please. Thank you.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I assume that the test was an HbA1C test and it would be helpful to know just how high it was.
In the UK, if the HbA1C is just 48 or a little bit higher, then it takes 2 separate tests in order to diagnose Diabetes.
But many are first diagnosed with an HbA1C of over100 and several members with such high levels worked to get into remission i.e. if HbA1C testes now they would not be considered to be diabetic - though if they ate what they used to eat, then they would!

There is no quick or easy fix (not even drugs). So, unfortunately there is no way you can force anybody to try to improve their health if they don't want to!

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just as above really.

His blood tests results were so high that our doctor warned against going on holiday. The doctor spoke of losing his sight /foot and likely death within 10-15 years if he doesn't make lifestyle changes. My husband is still smoking and seems to think he just needs to avoid sugar. Given the doctors stark warning, I am thinking this is v v serious. Looking for some kind advice please. Thank you.
How long ago was your husband diagnosed Type 2? He is fortunate that you care for his health and well-being. It is not easy for you, if he ignores the sage words.

Shocking as the Doctor's warning to your husband about possible long-term damage to his body was to hear, I wish more doctors were that honest. I know some diabetics in my own extended family, who have not had that kind of serious talking-to. So, they carry on with medication, but eating wrong foods, and the possible damage builds up, silently.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier