Scared to put in sensor. Frustrated with type 1

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My A1C is 9.1! Never, in my 20years living with this, have I had 6.2. I have background retinopathy and carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm using the sensor again, it is helping me to see the effects of foods, but honestly I'm at my wit's end. Keep eating and keep going high.

Thanks guys for your replies.
Yeah if you are 9.1 you are high, so a sensor should help. For me if I go under 6 I have too many lows so that is bad. I seem to do ok without a sensor and the hassle and expense. Good luck.

Frannyk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I want to cry reading all your responses, thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I've lived with type 1 for 20yrs but it's the first time I feel ready to try work on its control. I feel myself revert to old patterns: seeing a high, giving up. Too many lows, running high. Frustrated and angry: I'll "win" and eat what and how I want....

You guys are right. I'd like to work on being kinder to myself, giving time the time it needs and living for today. I wonder how I can make peace and friends.ds with type 1? It's always been with me but it's a messed up relationship.

I'd like to hear how you guys came to this place you're talking of. And, I like best the suggestion of chill out, relax, don't take myself so seriously!!!

Thank you , guys

Rachel
I was diagnosed aged 8 and I'm now 26. My way of looking at diabetes is down to my mum's approach to it when I was diagnosed. In our hospital, our diabetes clinic was in the same clinic as children's oncology and cystic fibrosis. When we were in that clinic and saw all the different clinic names, I remember, as a child, my mum saying to me: just remember, this isn't ideal, it's happened but you're a lot luckier than lots of people so always remember that. I've never forgotten that and always think about how lucky I am to have a condition that science is incredibly advanced for and one that I can live with day to day. It isn't ideal and there's some days that it gets incredibly frustrating, but remembering that each day is a new opportunity for it to work has always helped me! Good luck- I hope you're able to find peace with it and know that you've got lots of people in the same boat!

Frannyk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed aged 8 and I'm now 26. My way of looking at diabetes is down to my mum's approach to it when I was diagnosed. In our hospital, our diabetes clinic was in the same clinic as children's oncology and cystic fibrosis. When we were in that clinic and saw all the different clinic names, I remember, as a child, my mum saying to me: just remember, this isn't ideal, it's happened but you're a lot luckier than lots of people so always remember that. I've never forgotten that and always think about how lucky I am to have a condition that science is incredibly advanced for and one that I can live with day to day. It isn't ideal and there's some days that it gets incredibly frustrating, but remembering that each day is a new opportunity for it to work has always helped me! Good luck- I hope you're able to find peace with it and know that you've got lots of people in the same boat!
By the way- I've recently completed the Sarah Wilson I Quit Sugar programme and loved it! Made my A1c come down to 7.3 and I'm still doing the same diet 5 months on- it's great.