1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

School going to start soon.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Gabrielle_Tai, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Gabrielle_Tai

Gabrielle_Tai Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On 2 of January 2018 will be my first time attending school as a diabetic. Any people here can give me some tips of what to expect.I worry about how my friends and teachers will see me.Too many things to worry.

• Hug Hug x 4
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m not a type one and I’m way passed school age! But I would say be straight with your friends about what’s happening with your health. Educate them about your diabetes, especially helping you if you suffer a hypo. I guess your parents should have a talk with the staff to make them aware too, in case of difficulties. Best wishes for the New Year x

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crystalwand

Crystalwand Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have fun first and don't over think things, tell your friends always carry something with you and explain why, if you do get you pump it will make things better, I made it through school, and I wasn't the best diabetic, just keep an eye on your BG, but do enjoy best years ever X X X

• Like Like x 2
  4. Crystalwand

Crystalwand Type 1 · Well-Known Member

PS I am now 53, I know I am an old lady, but ha school was great

• Like Like x 1
  5. Troubled1

Troubled1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do not let your diabetes control the best years of your life. Let your friends know about your diabetes and educate them on how to deal with a possible hypo/hyper.

• Like Like x 1
  6. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't worry about what people think of you - the good ones will know that T1 doesn't make any difference! It might feel weird testing and injecting in front of other people, but I guarantee most of them won't even notice, and if they do they'll probably be too polite to ask you about it. If some mean people do bother you about it, just ignore it and stick with your friends. And then log on here and come and rant about it with us - we love a good rant!

Lots of people don't understand T1 very well and may have misconceptions - they might ask you if you ate too many sweets or drank too much soft drink, they might say you can't be diabetic since you're not fat, they may think that some miracle diet will cure your diabetes. Don't listen to them - if they are open minded you can use it as a chance to educate them, if they are not then you know the truth, so don't let them persuade you otherwise!

Make sure you talk to your teachers - tell them that you are a T1, you need to test/eat/inject sometimes in class, and what to do in an emergency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook