Science behing exercise

Pink

Hi all,

Can someone please help answer my questions, I just need to validate this. If my blood sugar was say 16 before exercise and say after a 25 minute aerobic exercise it's 19 then is this because as my sugar was high before the exercise and there wasn't enough insulin already in the body then obviously the working out is still not gonna reduce my blood sugar is it cos there isn't enough insulin in the system to convert the glucose into energy for the muscles being used and so my sugar will continue to rise regardless of exercise. That's right yeh?

What sugar should you be at before exercise say 7-8?

BTW i Know my sugar is high, it's an issue I'm having with my long acting waiting to go on a new slow acting that actually works 24 hours. Any one have any opinions on Insulatard? What are there experiences on it?

Thanks all
Pinkxx

Pink

Pink

Thanks Graham that answered my question about high bg and exercise. I think I'm going to post
the insulin query again. Thanks

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Pinkalish,

I'd say a couple of things. First, don't exercise if your bg is over 12, for the very reasons you mention. Your sugars will rise to the sorts of harmful levels you mention.
Second, you may find your bg rises regardless of your bg level if your exercise session isn't long enough. Exercise always releases stress hormones which push your bg higher and it might help to exercise a wee bit longer in order to bring them back down again.
Third, some people appear happy to start exercise with bgs in the 7-10 region, but I think that's a bit daft really. They're relying on there being sufficient insulin in their bloodstream to bring their bg down from a diabetic to a nondiabetic level. That usually means too much insulin to begin with.
In my experience, it's perfectly possible to exercise at bgs of 4-5 and for them not to change too much as a result of your workout. The key to this however is relatively low insulin levels and a diet that doesn't cause big bg fluctuations in the first place.

Hope that helps?

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I agree with Fergus.
I ususlly go to the gym or walking, fairly early with bg at about 5 and a low or no-carb breakfast. I'm then ok till lunch.