SD Codefree Strips - Batch ending 44

A

AnnieC

How do you know when it is the strips that make the readings a bit erratic as we get different readings all the time even for exactly the same meals When you get a reading higher or any different levels to what you expected do you put that down to the strips or to the fact that our levels fluctuate all the time and a meter is not accurate anyway.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you know when it is the strips that make the readings a bit erratic as we get different readings all the time even for exactly the same meals When you get a reading higher or any different levels to what you expected do you put that down to the strips or to the fact that our levels fluctuate all the time and a meter is not accurate anyway.

Obviously we fluctuate and some days will be higher for same meal because of a whole host of reasons. The issue here is that the strips give wildly varying readings even when matched against themselves and other strips with a different batch number on the Codefree when used at same time. Also Bluetit has been running tests against her Accu check meter and this batch of Codefree strips appears to be reading significantly higher against that meter. Of course it could be that meter reads low, but it seems strange that several of us have been having strange readings with the same batch - it is unlikely we've all suddenly lost control at the same time. This is not the first problem batch we have had. They are probably working in their tolerance but maybe are less accurate at a given point than other batches. Next time we might all get a batch that reads low. It happens but is annoying.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From tea time last night to fasting this morning, my batch 44 has behaved itself, so it isn't all the strips in the tub, just some of them.

This makes it even more annoying.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From tea time last night to fasting this morning, my batch 44 has behaved itself, so it isn't all the strips in the tub, just some of them.

This makes it even more annoying.

I've had a better 24 hours, so so, but then I would have expected all readings at the lower ends of my scales, as I've gone right back to basics, with no finesse, or add-ins at all. The thing is, I can't continue this way of the pounds will start dropping off again, and I don't have any spare to go.

My current plan is to start reverting to my now standard way of eating, as any jet lag is gone, and the viral thing is on it's way too, thank goodness. Too many variables for my liking.. I'll obviously be continuing with my testing on this batch as I have lots of pots, and I will eventually work out a discount figure to apply when I have an outrageous reading. For those a little above my usual averages, I'll be accepting those, and see how we go from there. I'll leave it a few weeks and have an HbA1c, and view the bigger picture from there. The jet lag/viral double-whammy I could have done without as it's difficult to work out if these have affected me this time, when the other times I have travelled or been a bit under the weather have shown minimal impact.

Onwards and onwards, but I'd be interested to keep this thread going for a short while; just to see how everyone is faring on the strips, longer term.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not faring well at all on this batch, although it did behave OK for a while yesterday.

Bedtime last night 5.5 (high end of normal range)
Fasting 6.2 and 6.1 (Accu Chek was 5.4 and 5,5 which tallies with what is normal and routine for me compared with my bedtime reading)
1hr after breakfast 7.0 and 7.7. (Accu chek was 6.4 which tallies with my normal range for identical breakfast)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get wildly erratic readings then a few seem ok then some more odd ones. I don't have enough left of the batches I am match controlling against to keep retesting. Will just have to knock.5 off minimum of those that seem Okish and retest and wildly out there ones.

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm starting to wonder if Codefree is as economical as it would seem. The amount of retesting that some people are doing seems to negate any economies.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting to wonder if Codefree is as economical as it would seem. The amount of retesting that some people are doing seems to negate any economies.

To be honest, I found them to be rock solid for a long, long time. By virtue of my logistics, I have always bought probably larger batches than most will, so if I have a stable batch, it's going to be stable for a while.. I have written to Home-health before about this, and I'm considering writing again, but they do test each batch that they import, but that will be against the parameters allowable, not a known and expected score, such as we do in our testing. Of course, a year ago, I would just have thought I was going through a period of carb-creep or something and give myself the "must try harder" talking to, but I have so much more insight these days.

We're proably quite a difficult customer base for them, if the truth be known.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I happy enough with it as a system as usually if I'm having problems with a batch others are too, so you get a feel for how much to adjust. It is harder when ( like this batch) sometimes it is spot on and other times it's like it just wandered off with the fairies and plucked any old figure out of the air.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are only looking for trends, therefore accuracy isn't crucial ...... but consistency is. There is nothing consistent about this batch.

First comparison over 5 tests today (no re-testing, just one test per meter at 5 different times:
Codefree batch 44 average 6.7
Accu Chek average 6.2

I am now using the Accu Chek readings for my personal records, but also taking a Codefree test for comparisons over the next 7 days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Experiment results so far.

16 different tests with each meter, no re-tests.

The Accu chek averaged 5.83mmol/l
The batch 44 averaged 6.23mmol/l

Difference 0.4mmol/l

5 of the tests the readings were the same or similar.

Fingers now sore so less tests today methinks.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Experiment results so far.

16 different tests with each meter, no re-tests.

The Accu chek averaged 5.83mmol/l
The batch 44 averaged 6.23mmol/l

Difference 0.4mmol/l

5 of the tests the readings were the same or similar.

Fingers now sore so less tests today methinks.

Mine are equally sore. I'm opting for a .5mmol/l deduction or a retest with another batch if really odd- it's not every strip but sufficient number to make it annoying.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking of ordering once more to see if I get a new batch this time and its more stable than 44

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I was becoming really disheartened as I was beginning to see lower fasting numbers around 6-7 but from last week they have shot up to 8s. Guess what? New tub of strips and they are batch 44.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was becoming really disheartened as I was beginning to see lower fasting numbers around 6-7 but from last week they have shot up to 8s. Guess what? New tub of strips and they are batch 44.

What is the average difference from before you started this batch and now?

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What is the average difference from before you started this batch and now?

Ah! Previous week average = 6.9. This week average = 8.5
I am getting a few high readings throughout the day as well, which hasn't been the case previously. I have only just started (mid-December) with readings, and LCHF from beginning of January, so I am testing at least 10 times a day to find out which food I can safely eat.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm probably going to have a few days break from testing at all, as the odd snuffle has erupted into a full technicolour chesty thing.....:meh::meh:, thus having the potential to further muddy the already muddy waters. Last night's 7.8, 7.9, 6.9 after the same meal as the night before (more usual 4.6) had me really irritated, so I think a couple of days of decent diet, where I know what to expect is the kindest thing to myself.

I have to say, I think my differentials are greater than 0.5, @Bluetit1802 , but I haven't actually worked it out. I reckon I've had two decent days since I started this lot.

Hey ho. I'd be grateful if everyone would keep adding to this thread, even if I'm quieter than my usual self, as I'll use it when I write to Home-Health. I don't expect they will do anything, but I do want to know if they have had others feeling the same as us.

I'm just trying to work out how I cope with the 20-odd boxes I have left...................

Reactions: 4 people

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Awww, sorry to hear you are now proper poorly - but just keep calm and breathe ... Olbas is supposed to help with the latter :rolleyes: