Second-hand or shared continuous glucose monitors?

wu-lee

As a Type-2, managing my condition through diet alone, and having read Jenny Ruhl's "Diabetes 101", I'm concerned that post-meal blood spikes are the thing to watch. I check these with a cheap SD Code-free glucometer. This is adequate. Nevertheless, I can't see what happens between meals, or overnight, etc., and I have to anticipate spikes in order to catch them.

Therefore I would like to be able to use a continuous (or flash) glucose monitor, if only for the occasional short period. The trouble is, the main models I'm aware of, the Freestyle Libre (and Freestyle Libre 2), are quite expensive for the average person to buy and maintain. The current price seems to be about ~£115 to buy (with one patch), and then ~£58 per patch thereafter. Patches last "up to" 14 days.

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products/FreeStyle-Libre-2-Starter-Pack.html

Admittedly I see there's a 30 day money back trial there now, but I think I would only be eligible once, so no comparing over time. I imagine most type 2s would use this for a short period when changing their diet, and then only want to check things occasionally thereafter.

Thoughts on any of this welcomed.

Thanks!

Nick

(Parts of post removed by mod to comply with forum rules)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This might be a way to re-use idle equipment, spread the expense and make access easier for those of us with less cash to spare. I've not seen this idea proposed anywhere - the closest I can find here on this forum is this:

Um, the sensors are one use only, they are not reusable or shareable at all - for the libre (1or 2) they can be bought singly - you do not need a subscription - the sensors are the main cost of using something like this
The cannula of the sensor is inserted under the skin so you would never ever ever want to share something like that anyway even if you could (which you cant)

Not sure what the starter pack actually has in it, it looks like 2 sensors to me (the phone app is free afaik).
You do not need a separate piece of kit to read the sensors if you have a recent-ish phone with NFC
But yes, its the sensors/patches that are the cost

But yeah not sure what you're hoping to achieve with this, given that the sensors/patches are all one-use only devices anyway

Edit: wu-lee I think you may have misunderstood how the libres actually work and what you need :)

Last edited:

wu-lee

Um, the sensors are one use only, they are not reusable or shareable at all - for the libre (1or 2) they can be bought singly - you do not need a subscription - the sensors are the main cost of using something like this

Yes, I do understand this point, I'm not suggesting these sensors would be re-used. I know this doesn't address the cost of the sensors.

[edit] Ah, I think what you're telling me is that there is no separate monitor device, the sensors are all there is to the package?

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One point is minimising the initial cost for the device (which is not entirely insignificant). Another is to avoid buying new equipment which then is left sitting around unused most of the time.

I've got to admit I'm not sure what equipment you are talking about for the libre - its probably worth you clarifying :)

You can just use a recent-ish mobile phone to use the sensors - there are readers/scanners produced by Abbott at least for the Libre 1 (possibly for the libre 2 as well), but you can use a phone instead (and the reporting functions on the phone app are far superior to the one of the reader I used when I had one) - or is this idea for those without recent-ish mobile phone?

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[edit] Ah, I think what you're telling me is that there is no separate monitor device, the sensors are all there is to the package?
It might have a reader/scanner in it as well, not sure its doesn't actually clarify on the site (doesn'tt look like it to me though - just looks like two sensors), but whether it does or not you can just use a phone as well as or instead of it

In other words there is no set up/equipment cost - unless you don't have recent-ish phone

Last edited:
Reactions: wu-lee

wu-lee

I've got to admit I'm not sure what equipment you are talking about for the libre - its probably worth you clarifying :)

Thanks, clarified with an edit.

In the light of this perhaps the question is finding a CGM/FGM which has cheaper consumables. Although I can probably afford £50 for the odd fortnight.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can buy a reader, but it's not necessary at all if you have a compatible phone. Most phones are compatible, except the older iPhones. (Old Samsungs work just fine.)

What about you just order one on a free trial and see how you like it?
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/free-trial.html

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the light of this perhaps the question is finding a CGM/FGM which has cheaper consumables. Although I can probably afford £50 for the odd fortnight.
Libre is the cheapest at the moment.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wu-lee ,

regarding the libre 2, Pretty much any NFC enabled phone can scan it with the librelink app on the device.
There are two other third party apps that can give the CGM experience really well, utilising the Bluetooth function on the libre 2.. All apps are free.
The sensor when finished on its 14 day lifespan is disposed of.

I don’t use the latest phone with my personal set up. There are some pretty good used bargains out there that cover the ground exceptionally well.. possibly your current phone can already do the job?

with the libre 1s.. There are scanners & Bluetooth bridges available for the CGM setups that sit over the sensor. Two independently developed (off the top of my head.) are the Miaomiao & Bubble.
But both are now basically redundant with the advent of the Libre 2..

To summarise, you would probably just need to source the sensor.. Possibly your only outlay..?