1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Seeds and Beans

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by broads, Sep 10, 2009.

1. broads

broads · Well-Known Member

I am thinking about sprouting beans and seeds? Can anyone recommend some nice ones to get me started. I've had a look on the internet but there are so many to choose from. Many thanks

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

The classic are mung beans.
    Hana

3. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

radish are nice

I'd suggest a trip to a garden center or an independent health food shops as they often do packets of seeds for sprouting.

4. broads

Thank you both for your kind replies. I thin k I will do as you suggest and go to the garden centre, don't know why I didn't think of it.

5. cugila

cugila · Master

6. marleemacd

marleemacd · Member

I used to do a mixture of mung and aduki beans, the colours contrast nicely and they both start with a 24 hour soak. Chick pea sprouts are lovely and nutty, and black-eyed beans taste good. Thanks for reminding me about them, my boss thinks I'll die of scurvy now I don't eat any fresh fruit at all...sprouts taste pretty sweet!

7. broads

Thanks Marleemacd for your suggestions. Will give them a try.

8. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

there are also onion seeds, broccoli, alfalfa, beetroot, loads of stuff.

Make sure you buy seeds produceed for sprouting because some of the seeds produced for growing crops have been treated.

I bought a rather nice sprouting jar from Julian Graves last year, it has a handled lid that keeps it at the right angle to promote good drainage. it came with a rather fabulous poster that listed all the things you can sprout and how to do it and how long you have to wait before you can eat them. I recall a square plastic stacking box type thing I bough tin the 1980s and didn't get on with it at all.

beware of mixed seed packets because they all take different lengths of time before they are ready to eat.

9. JAC0609

JAC0609 · Member

Hi what do you eat with seeds/beans? Part of a salad etc?
    Thanks
    JAC x

10. meoman

meoman · Well-Known Member

11. cavelioness

cavelioness Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I love my garlic chives....got them from a local seed grower and I regularly pinch some for on salads etc or just eat as they are

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook