Seem to be heading the wrong way

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed pre diabetic a year ago my hbac test was 43 done my research ditched all the obvious stuff got it down to 40 but my readings seem to be going the wrong way but I haven't changed much I can't afford to lose any more weight my weight is bang on I'm 9stone 8 which is fine my fasting readings are always around 6 which used to be lowish 5s now for example today I had a lunch of no more than 15 g of carbs and my bs shot up to 8.8 when I tested when waking it was 6 had a breakfast of around maybe 10grams my evening meal was also low Carb is there any little tips to get me back on track as I fear it is heading in the wrong direction thanks in advance

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For us T1's, our insulin requirements tend to vary a little - that is to say that we might go through a period when we need more (or less) insulin for a given amount of carbs than we did previously.

You might just be fluctuating a little and if your assessment is based on the readings over a few days, then I think I'd be inclined to wait a a bit longer before jumping to any conclusions about the long term direction of your BG numbers.

If you'll forgive me for being pedantic, I noticed that you wrote "I haven't changed much" , which kind of implies that you may have changed something????

Irrespective of the carb content, what type of foods have you actually been eating.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No you could be correct i have probably ate a few more carbs but still tend to stick to less than 60 per day sometimes less or maybe a little more I should probably test more often thanks for the reply

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long have you been doing Low Carb? In the early stages our bodies need time to adjust to it, and during this time we can suffer Liver Dumps caused by our bodies thinking we are starving and reacting to boost bgl. If we persevere, then our bodies start burning fat instead, and we start to lose the stored reserves in our liver, and this reduces the liver dumps as the liver stores empty. Then apparently we get the LC Flu, which occurs as our bodies take up fat burning big time, and once we acclimatise to that, then all is hunky dory, and our bgl should steady out.

For me, it has taken 3 months of LC to get to a more stable position, and now I am regularly hitting inside the 4 to 6 mmol/L range.

Other things that can be happening, I noted that a change of test strip paks can give a rise (or drop) in bgl averages by up to 2 mmol/L Sometimes a cold or infection can affect readings. Make sure you wash and thoroughly dry your hands when taking readings. Have you changed medications recently? Cough mixture? suffering increased stress? Change of drinking habits?

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing it for a year with the odd blip along the way like most I probably have a little more leeway as I was only just pre diabetic and my last reading was non diabetic but on the whole I have stuck to it but that's interesting advice about the strips it is a new box lol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing it for a year with the odd blip along the way like most I probably have a little more leeway as I was only just pre diabetic and my last reading was non diabetic but on the whole I have stuck to it but that's interesting advice about the strips it is a new box lol
Yup. I found it because I run 2 meters in parallel, so it becomes obvious when the gap between them changes after a strip change.