Self funding in the UK

zibi1

Hi All,

I'm seriously thinking on switching to an insulin pump. I'm currently on MDI with good control (Hb1ac lower than 6% with no significant hypos). Hence, I'll never ever qualify for NICE requirements.

The only option is then to pay for the pump. I understand that pumping requires lots of interaction with medical staff, especially at the beginning. If I pay out of pocket for the pump, do I need to pay privately for doctor's visits as well or can I use NHS services?

Thanks a lot!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
zibi1 said:
Hi All,

I'm seriously thinking on switching to an insulin pump. I'm currently on MDI with good control (Hb1ac lower than 6% with no significant hypos). Hence, I'll never ever qualify for NICE requirements.

The only option is then to pay for the pump. I understand that pumping requires lots of interaction with medical staff, especially at the beginning. If I pay out of pocket for the pump, do I need to pay privately for doctor's visits as well or can I use NHS services?

Thanks a lot!
Hiya, yes you can pay for a pump with a prescription as pumps are prescription items. There is no problem at all with you having NHS cover for consultant etc if you self fund a pump.
I think though you do need to read the guide lines carefully though as they are worded in such a way that anyone can qualify for a pump.
Have you actually asked for one?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

I looked at self funding and discussed it with my clinic. They told me they would not give me any NHS training or advice etc and I would be going it alone. I am not sure if they HAVE to help me had I self funded but they were certainly very anti dealing with private pumpers. Just worth finding out from your own clinic

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
MushyPeaBrain said:
Hello

I looked at self funding and discussed it with my clinic. They told me they would not give me any NHS training or advice etc and I would be going it alone. I am not sure if they HAVE to help me had I self funded but they were certainly very anti dealing with private pumpers. Just worth finding out from your own clinic

Hi MPB,
the training would be down to the pump company. As the pump is an insulin delivery device then there should be no issues what so ever.

Nicklenocky

Hi Zibi 1

I self fund my pump, but I am not in the UK, I work in the Middle East. I knew I wouldnt be able to get one in the UK so decided to go it alone.

I agree that it would be better to have some support from medical staff, but saying that, I havnt had any....I had one doctor over here who put me on it, but even then I knew what to do myself, after that I have pretty much been on my own as the doctors here are not trained for insulin pump therapy and rarely come across a young type 1 to deal with. Since being on it I do from time to time wish I had better medical support, it just feels better to have someone to ask questions, hence why I come on this forum a lot.

These are the things I did/do in order to prepare myself for going it alone with the pump:
- Watch the tutorials online from the relevant pump supplier, for me it was Medtronic and the tutorials were great
- Watch the tutorials on youtube for cannuler insertions, also great and made it look so easy
- Buy a book called 'Pumping Insulin' (forgot the authors name)
- Be prepared to test your blood many, many times a day at the beginning
- Be prepared to set your alarm several times a night in order to get your basals right
- Ask questions on forums such as these one for a little guidance from time to time

The other thing to consider is the cost of the upkeep of the pump. I have no idea whether the NHS funds pump supplies, but if they dont you will be spending easily GBP150+ per month

I found out I was pregnant recently which coincided with me getting the pump (a conicidence!). I unfortunately have had not had the time to experiment very much with the different features the pump has to offer but I look forward to doing so after the pregnancy. In the short 4 or so months I have had the pump, i would not give it up for the world, I kmow it seems a bit exagerated to say this, but the pump really has changed my life (okay my diabetes life!)

So I suppose after that long post what I am trying to say is that it is possible to teach and support yourself, but you must be prepared to put in a lot f work!

reyalex

Hi CarbsRok,

Do you mind me asking what you mean that the guidelines are worded in a way that anyone can qualify for a pump? I've read them over and over and I can't see that interpretation.

Many thanks if you can help!

Hiya, yes you can pay for a pump with a prescription as pumps are prescription items. There is no problem at all with you having NHS cover for consultant etc if you self fund a pump.
I think though you do need to read the guide lines carefully though as they are worded in such a way that anyone can qualify for a pump.
Have you actually asked for one?[/quote]