Self testing with blood thinners

paddyod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am a T2 diabetic and have recently tried self testing using a new blood glucose machine I was given by a friend (my doctors refused to supply as they said my medication was under control), however I am taking 20mg of Rivaroxaban blood thinner and am finding that after pricking myself for the blood sample it takes me ages - at least 5 mins - to stop bleeding. Does anyone else have this issue or am I doing something wrong?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t help re the thinners but what sort of lancet are you using? Some are a bit scary. If it is depth adjustable then set it to the lowest level and only work up if necessary. Create a smaller hole = less leakage. Also remember pressure on the spot afterwards might help.
Hopefully others can help re the meds.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Clopidogril, an anti clotting agent, but I have no problems. Make the smallest hole you can and as HSS says put pressure on it when you have taken the sample.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi, I am a T2 diabetic and have recently tried self testing using a new blood glucose machine I was given by a friend (my doctors refused to supply as they said my medication was under control), however I am taking 20mg of Rivaroxaban blood thinner and am finding that after pricking myself for the blood sample it takes me ages - at least 5 mins - to stop bleeding. Does anyone else have this issue or am I doing something wrong?
I have been on that drug, and apixaban and warfarin. Now on Dabigatran , it is the only one that worked for me and did not upset my stomach although at one time I could not stop my piles bleeding.
Never had your problem though. Is it possible to get some graduated prickers?
Are you older, some of the newer thinners can build up and accumulate if they dont break down so well in older persons.
regards
Derek

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is on Warfarin and when he has his regular INR check he al2ays comes back with a wad of lint on his finger as it was still bleeding.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am taking 20mg of Rivaroxaban blood thinner and am finding that after pricking myself for the blood sample it takes me ages - at least 5 mins - to stop bleeding.
I have used that brand of anti coagulant (Xaralto) for six years.

Most of the time it stops bleeding under pressure with a tissue, but sometimes it just wants to keep on oozing out. I then stick a bandaid on it for awhile.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the difficulty of stopping bleeding I wonder if blood thinning drugs affect the accuracy of blood glucose tests. My guess would be that finger stick tests are OK since they are measuring the glucose in plasma but I have no idea if, or how, blood thinning would affect HbA1c.

lindisfel

Expert
Apart from the difficulty of stopping bleeding I wonder if blood thinning drugs affect the accuracy of blood glucose tests. My guess would be that finger stick tests are OK since they are measuring the glucose in plasma but I have no idea if, or how, blood thinning would affect HbA1c.
They work on one factor in the coagulation chain, as I recall, so should not affect hba1c.
D.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I take 2x150 mg Pradaxa /day. No real problem , just adjust the lacer to get a smaller sample. Later, if need be apply pressure to stop bleeding.

paddyod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the information everyone, I will try with less pressure on the lancet and a healthy supply of tissue paper just in case!