daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
Apologies this is slightly long! I would really appreciate responses however

I’ve been Type One for 12 years, almost 13, and I’ll be the first to admit I am/was one of the most awful diabetics on the planet.

Skipping to the true subject, though.

I’ve been admitted countless time for DKA.
Four days ago, I went into DKA again.

My blood ketone level was 6.9, blood sugar was 36.6< mmol.
I vomited, but only once, so I wasn’t too panicked.. (not worried about DKA? Not clever)

I’ve since managed to keep my levels in fairly decent range, and my ketone level is now 0.7

However, my question is, after DKA, have you experienced symptoms similar to acid reflux, just occasional acid burning sensation in your stomach and bottom of your oesophagus?

Also, once food hits the bottom of your oesophagus it seems almost stuck for a little while?

Thank you!

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi Daemoncar, as you probably know, DKA isnt a good condition to get into, but I have a friend who is a long term type 1 who gets acid reflex fairly regularly and she has informed me that it is partly connected to her diabetes. This is the only experience I have on this matter.
I have only been DKA once and I remember it well. ! I had horrendous shallow breathing and felt totally wiped out and was extremely unwell due to a respiratory infection which hampered my bg control. (this was in the days before blood sugar tests).
I think it would be a good idea to talk to a medical professional and tell them what is happening regarding the acid reflux and DKA you are experiencing.
Get those sugars sorted out, being in the 30s is too high and you may feel pretty awful whilst getting your sugars back to a normal range for a while, but it will make you feel much better overall in the long run.
Sorry I cant be of much help, I dont mean to sound like a nag.
Take care..

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yeah, you need to go talk to a doctor. Your symptoms sound consistent with diabetes-caused gastroparesis. This is where high bg has damaged the 'swallowing' nerves and you have delayed emptying of the stomach, producing acid reflux and that stuck food feeling. There's a stomach emptying test that can be done to rule it in or out.

If you're lucky, it will be reversible if you keep your bg under control. If you're unlucky (like me) it's permanent and progressive with high bg.

The only time I've been DKA that I know of was when I was diagnosed. The GP told me my bg was over her scale, and my ketones over 40, she was amazed I was still conscious. The funny thing is I felt fine, if a little thirsty. I didn't begin to feel ill until the hospital crash lowered my bg with a massive shot of insulin.

markm90

never self treat a ketoacidosis your organs can fail if not treated properly late late reply but got straight to a/e next time because you would of needs a insulin fusion and monitoring to see the cause of it ive had them before never self treat as a diabetic