Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Grace - just had a cheeky thought !
Batman [him] and robin [you] :p

The fact it is a late nightly walk and wouldnt like the idea of them fluttering around etc...
Definetely give this one a miss...

He is your own personal trainer ?
Whats he training 'you' in or with ?

Anna.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
We've got a couple of bats living in our roof and I love seeing them flying around on summer evenings. They are protected in Switzerland.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
Grace - just had a cheeky thought !
Batman [him] and robin [you] :p

The fact it is a late nightly walk and wouldnt like the idea of them fluttering around etc...
Definetely give this one a miss...

He is your own personal trainer ?
Whats he training 'you' in or with ?

Anna.

Ha! Batman and Robin ... I like it ... cos I have a little robin who comes to visit me every day and he has the bats!

Well I call him my personal trainer because he's full of energy, eats an awful diet of mainly processed meats, potatoes, veg and chocolate muffins which he can eat three of at a time! He's 71, fit as a fiddle and I'm 59 and just getting back on my feet. He looked after me throughout the past couple of years when my health was really bad. He visited me in hospital, made sure I had what I needed and he cheered me up when I felt like giving up and he was here every day checking I was OK, and he'd encourage me to go for walks even though I had to use sticks. He was just 'there' when I needed a light bulb changed, the bins put out, the garden tidied, my car checking over. He had the energy I didn't have and was glad to share it.

I think his secret is 'bl***y mindedness' ... I think that's what he has running through his veins. He's stubborn and determined and pushes himself to the limits, where I'm more inclined to give up when the going gets too tough for me. I just don't have that kind of energy and he's always on the lookout for 'little jobs' to do. His father died at 94 so my friend was still looking after him when he was in his late 60's and now he's just really started living for himself so he's enjoying his building plans and being active and having plenty to do. I don't know what I'd have done without him this past 2 years to be honest.

In return for his practical help, I taught him how to use a computer, send emails, write letters, surf the net, watch youtubes etc., so now he has a whole new world opened up to him. We're both interested in astrology, Mayan culture, and the mysteries of the cosmos so he's chuffed that he's now an expert on his new laptop. He tells me he had problems at school with learning and was always being yelled at and put to the bottom of the class. But to be honest, I think his problem was a high IQ which wasn't discovered and which is only blossoming now in his 70s which is such a shame. He can be very trying because his mind runs like a speed train and he has the memory of an elephant and a head for maths which leaves me baffled. But it's been really great watching him come into his own at the age of 70 when many people would simply feel it's too late to learn anything or make up for lost time. So I take my hat off to the man. He's an inspiration.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
We've got a couple of bats living in our roof and I love seeing them flying around on summer evenings. They are protected in Switzerland.

Oooh dont you feel like you have to duck and dive as they swooop around ?
Been told they feel like velvet in a touch sense :eek:
Still dont fancy it though :eh:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Amazing Grace - your very own personal trainer, he was there for you when you needed him and vice versa too :)
You sound complete opposites - yet it perfectly counterbalances - and ' works so well ' between you both.
You are both so lucky to have each other eh? :wave:

I have always had a saying if I wasnt married ...
1. bloke for DIY/revamp/decor skills in the home and garden .
2. bloke for sharing evenings out shows,theatre,concerts,art galleries,museums etc .
3. bloke for share a leisurely meal , lonnng walks and times with really deep conversation [on same wave length kind of thing]
4. bloke for the loving skills only :wink:
Its impossible to find all four, perfectly suited in just the one bloke !!!!
My friends know this IS me and what I would do if ever there was a next time in life ...

Good for him - with his energy and zest for doing things :clap:
plus you too :clap: with your humour,take on things and chirpy persona ...
You are refreshingly positive and yet so fun/comical at the same time too.
I always :D smile at your posts . ( love reading them :thumbup: )

Been practising some crocheting before - enjoyed it - its fun 'honestly' :p

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
Amazing Grace - your personal trainer, he was there for you when you needed him and vice versa too :)
You sound complete opposites - yet it perfectly counterbalances - and ' works so well ' between you both.

I have always had a saying if I wasnt married ...
1. bloke for DIY/revamp/decor skills in the home and garden .
2. bloke for sharing evenings out shows,theatre,concerts,art galleries,museums etc .
3. bloke for share a leisurely meal , lonnng walks and times with really deep conversation [on same wave length kind of thing]
4. bloke for the loving skills only :wink:
Its impossible to find all four, perfectly suited in just the one bloke !!!!
My friends know this IS me and what I would do if ever there was a next time in life ...

Good for him - with his energy and zest for doing things :clap:
plus you too :clap: with your humour,take on things and chirpy persona ...
You are refreshingly positive and yet comical at the same time too.
I always :D smile at your posts . ( love reading them :thumbup: )

Been practising some crocheting before - enjoyed it - its fun 'honestly' :p

Anna.

Yes Anna ... I've always believed (even if at the time of need I don't remember that I believe) that what we need, comes to us. Perhaps not in the way we expected or in the person we expected but nevertheless it arrives. In much the same way as the man in the rowing boat arrives when the other man is on the roof praying to God to come and rescue him. That sort of thing.

There's no romantic attachment between us at all, we wouldn't get on in that respect, he's more like the brother I never had. But on a practical down to earth level we get along just fine. He's very prone to falling in love with unsuitable women and I spotted that as soon as I met him. I also knew that we weren't romance material and told him so from the start and that's why we became such good friends. He appreciated the truth rather than pretence and you know me Anna ... I'm nothing if not straightforward. :roll:

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
anna29 said:
hallii said:
That's my point Donnellydogs, nothing makes you or me a senior citizen, (God how I hate that expression).

There seems to be a need somehow to slot people into catagories, and my least favourite is any term that places someone of a different age in such a catagory. As I have said, I am not a number (who said that then?) I am a person, age is immaterial.

H
Sorry Hallii but I fancy that you yourself might be the one who is hung up on the age side of things, I think you will find most of us on this forum are grateful for somewhere to air our concerns and worries, without ranting on about how youthful we are. :thumbdown:
This has been set up to "HELP" members as regardless of certain age,creed or disability
the forum is to support and help, encourage/inspire others.
[ it is impossible to please everyone ]

I often walk around with many a senior moment upon me :)
Glasses stuck upon my head - whilst looking for them.
Dropsy days when keep dropping things - dont know why? But hey - it happens .
Forget what day it is - many a time - dont even need alzheimers to do this one! :lolno:
Have to write things down - as will forget otherwise .

Many maturing older persons are WONDERFUL inspiring persona's
not like grumpy old fogies at all .
With much to contribute and inspire others with :thumbup:

Hence why I thought deeply about setting this thread up for you all .
Giving more options and opportunities for the topics of discussion/debate .
Plus help,share,inspire,encourage others .

If anyone wishes to remain ageless - then so be it - cant help but wonder what you say
when anyone asks THAT question :p

I love all tales and tips that the wiser maturer/older folk can pass onto the young.
It can educate , inspire , encourage , humble , guide/steer etc.

Since the question of what is the senior reference :?:
No age fixed nor judgement as noted in the sticky .
Flexibility and acceptance to chime in with anything that reflects
your life and diabetes experiences .

Much more positive to have this opportunity than not at all ...
Negativity isnt productive nor inspires anyone .

Anna.

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
anna29 said:
Hi All .

Any new idea for replacing senior moments title 'with' ...
Just let me know via PM please - will accept idea's , suggestions , put forward for new title :thumbup:

Havent a ruddy clue what age validates an 'oldie' nowadays :?:
Hence why I didnt stipulate a specific age or age to this thread .
Didnt DARE nor Wish to ...

All I wanted to do was give the opportunity of this to you . :)

Anna.

Hi Anna I think the name is fine as it is. I think the term senior has little to do with age and more to do with experience.(I remember being classed as a senior when I was 12 at prep` school but i definitely was not collecting my old age pension :lol: )
Please carry on with your magnanimous forum site just as it is :clap: :thumbup:

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
anna29 said:
Grace, I am good at drawing with coloured pencils :)
Would love to paint using watercolours so I may investigate any classes
to learn this - this coming spring :thumbup:
Good for you grace with your needlework/knitting skills and proving the school
teacher well wrong :clap:

True - you DO get so much pleasure and a real sense of pride out of handmaking or home baking something !

We have a monthly bake and take evening - where we bake/cook something .
All have a taste then do recipe's swaps etc...
Will have a rummage on the recipes here on DCUK and make something tasty yet
diabetic friendly .
Let them all get stuck into it first - gauge their responses first :shh:
Then I can spout the hidden gem with it - its ideal for diabetics - as there is a few at
the gentle exercise class weekly .

They are doing a nightly bat walk and talk too - soon :shock:
A bat woman is giving a talk on bats n walk to see them .
Think I will give this a miss ...

Anna.
WOW you might get a chance to meet Batman if he drops her off/picks her up :lol: :thumbup: :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
556263_584204014941821_1855017714_n.jpg

C

chris lowe

I've no real problem being called "senior" even though I'm (not quite, but soon) 60 yet. I don't really find an negative connotations in it. One bonus is that may pubs do a seniors menue at lunchtime - although my local calls it seasoned citizens menu - for vastly reduced prices on the normal menu so if it means that being senior means I get a bargain so be it. Senior to me means someone with lots of experience and a life well lived. I can't say that at the moment I hanker after my lost youth and what's the point of yearning for what you can't have, though at the moment I'm yearning for my new sofas as I'm fed up with sitting on a dining chair in the middle of the lounge. OOOooooh they've just arrived! :lol: Must go.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope you are enjoying your new sofa's now chris. :)
What colour ? fabric or leather ?

There ARE many options,perks,bonuses for senior persons .
Its just 'knowing' what and where they are isnt it . :thumbup:

I adore hearing older and wiser persons tales and life experiences .
It never fails to teach or enrich me with something ! :D

Life experience's and the stories of their past is invaluable knowledge and wisdom .
We all have the memories of things we have loved doing and enjoyed .
The brain is a marvellous filing system of all our individual experiences and days .

I am always thankful for lots of the things I did in my 30's/40's .
Dont worry nor regret a thing ... :thumbup:
Looking back at my 20's though - I realise that I really didnt know what I wanted to do or be :?
[was a bit lost I suppose]

Anna.

susanmanley

It often makes my day when some random person stops me and pours out their story. It is sometimes like a floodgate opening.
Everyone has a story but not everyone has a listener

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
susanmanley said:
It often makes my day when some random person stops me and pours out their story. It is sometimes like a floodgate opening.

Ohh this reminds me of a friend of mine who lives in a very rural farmhouse location .
The window cleaner had drove down the mile and half road to clean her windows.

She hadn't seen a lot of persons over the winter and was so pleased to see another human face.
[ instead of the usual cows,horse's only . ]
Made him a brew and kept him there for the next 3 hours [yep three hours]
chattering away at him - "nonstop, at full throttle and speed!"

Prior to him leaving , he actually asked her for a paracetamol with his last brew ... :shock:
No prizes for guessing 'why' !!!
I cracked up laughing when she told me this tale and am giggling now remembering it :lol:

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
susanmanley said:

Ohh this reminds me of a friend of mine who lives in a very rural farmhouse location .

She hadn't seen a lot of persons over the winter and was so pleased to see another human face.

Prior to him leaving , he actually asked her for a paracetamol with his last brew ... :shock:
I cracked up laughing when she told me this tale and am giggling now remembering it :lol:

Anna.

OMG that made me laugh :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
GraceK said:
anna29 said:
susanmanley said:

Anna.

OMG that made me laugh :lol:

I know Grace - even funnier was when he went back up his ladder and wouldnt come back down it .
He stayed up at top of ladder cleaning the same window over and over peering down at her
babbling away on n on n on at him ...
Then when he finally 'did' dare to come down he asked to use the loo .
After using her loo - he found her awaiting his company with ANOTHER brew plonked into his hand
and ANOTHER chat :clap:
He really couldnt 'escape' that day :lol:

Anna.

C

chris lowe

Anna 29 wrote "Discovered in my rush to get ready I had put the leg around my waist and the pants
were on sideways"

Anna - I'm glad I'm not the only one! :lol:

C

chris lowe

Anna 29 wrote "Hope you are enjoying your new sofa's now chris.
What colour ? fabric or leather ? "

The colour is called antique red (a bit like me if I'm left out in the sun :lol: ) and are leather. Alfie cat is very good and uses the scratching post, Diasy cat has just been caught digging her claws in the arm - grrrrrr! I will have to get some double sided tape, apparently they don't like feeling the sticky side on their paws. Or so I am told. :thumbup:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
chris lowe said:
Anna 29 wrote "Hope you are enjoying your new sofa's now chris.
What colour ? fabric or leather ? "

The colour is called antique red (a bit like me if I'm left out in the sun :lol: ) and are leather. Alfie cat is very good and uses the scratching post, Diasy cat has just been caught digging her claws in the arm - grrrrrr! I will have to get some double sided tape, apparently they don't like feeling the sticky side on their paws. Or so I am told. :thumbup:

Hope you are enjoying your new sofa's chris .
Alfie still using the scratch post ?
Daisy is clearly attempting to leave her 'mark' on your new sofa's. :problem:
Wait till they are 'both' curled up nice and cosy on it :)
It will be their new 'throne' ... :thumbup:

Anna.