Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
GraceK ...
Loved your post :clap:
You are happy in your own skin and image :wave:
Gooooood for you Grace " you are you and happy as 'you' too " .
I admire that completely ... :D

Confess I was thinking about you today - when I had my eyebrows/eyelashes dyed .
I am a 51yr old [next week] tinter of my hair,eyebrows,eyelashes .
Am so pale skinned and fair haired so can get away with it yet :thumbup:
Do the eyebrow/eyelashes as they become so fair that I can look bald !

I too have slipped on black ice patch right outside my car .
Was looking at the sky and world upside down 'wailing' :cry:
Smacked my head on the pavement and landed on my small bum [no padding!]
This hurt the worst as it came out 2 days later...
A lovely man helped me up and offered to call for my husband/drive me home/take me to A&E
There are still some lovely men about - he stayed with me holding me - making sure I was okay.
When I had stopped wailing and come to - [checked my BG levels was 8.6 ]
he followed me home making sure I was fine driving etc...
Wish I had asked him - his name - to thank him properly .

The fall HAS knocked my confidence and am soooo relieved there is no 'more' snow here .
Know what you mean now Grace -with your henny styled walk :lolno:
Think of me doing mine too - whilst you do yours!

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Haaa :lol: Anna, you know how there are people called 'tree huggers', well I think once we women reach 50, we can sometimes become 'pavement huggers' without even trying! I once fell down the stairs right from the top to the very bottom, landed on all fours in the hallway, totally stunned, bum in air and my elderly Mum simply turned her head slowly in my direction and said "What on earth are you doing down there?"

That's when I realised that the elderly really do become unshockable and unflappable. I'm now that way myself. I couldn't get in a flap if I tried, I just don't care that much about anything anymore ... and it's wonderful!!! :lol:

With regards to the eyebrow dyeing, I went in for that about 5 years ago, had the eyebrows done and the eyelashes too and I really liked it until the beautician put a darker dye on than I wanted and I came out looking like an angry farmer from the Hebrides! Then I developed an awful skin allergy so the hairdye and eyebrow tints had to go.

My next mission is to repay my hairdresser for oversnipping and layering my hair to the point that all the bounce has gone out of it and it's flying all over the place and I look like Worzel Gummidge!!! :roll:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GraceK

You have made this thread so good.

But I have a 1953 model which is my pride and joy " no added colours, very powerful, and beautiful.
Blimey its just dawned on me that my lovely wife was also born in 1953. Got 2 models now
( Now I have got to arrange my wife's 60th)

The point I am getting at is maybe your correct being Senior. However I see you as a classic and one of the best, a goddess, a queen a leader, the boss and ok senior.

Photo of my classic model will be sent on photo topic thread.

Roy :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Last Autumn after watching my 27year old daughter ' unsure ' of what she really wants in life .
I recognised that in my twentys I knew so little and didnt really know myself either .
In my late thirtys I used my womanly wiles to the maximum .
Forties I embraced maturity as refreshing to have a much clearer sense of who I was AND where I
wanted to be in my life .
Now in my fifties well [51 next week] I love the gifts of patience,understanding,grace,acceptance,
tollerance even [never had much of this till now!]
Life for me just gets better and better as I grow older,wiser,calmer [as in my case!]
Wish I had this awareness when in my mid 30's and 40's ...

When I was in my late 30's to mid 40's I thought I would always be forever young etc...
Now yep am still like this mentally and in spirit - forever young.
But my ruddy body feels its age most mornings taking till 11am to thaw out / catch up to my active brain and fiesty spirit. :roll:

Grace you're priceless :lol: wurzel gummidge hairstyle with an angry farmer face plus the eyebrows too :lol:
Pavement hugging and doing the henny walk as you go along :lol:
Wish we could bottle you - you would be worth a fortune .
Do you know an aunt sally ? :p

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Awwww Shucks Anna and Roy ... :oops: You're both very kind.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ... but I'd still prefer to have been able to see clearly AT THE TIME, rather than looking back and saying "Aha! That's where I went wrong then!"

I must confess the worst thing about getting older as far as I'm concerned is having to bite my tongue (yes, I can do it sometimes :lol: ) and stop myself from giving my kids advice. But sometimes I just can't help myself. My youngest who's 33 emailed me yesterday to tell me he has flu. I went into automatic mode ... "keep warm, wear socks, drink plenty, have soup, take some paracetamol ..." Next thing I did was get onto Amazon and order him a bottle of Olive Leaf Extract and followed through with an email telling him he'd better make sure he takes it because it cost me an arm and a leg to get it delivered ASAP!!!

Hormones! I haven't even got any but they still rule my life! :roll:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I thought the best thing about getting older was being able to get away 'without biting your tongue'.... People expect 'grumpy old men' etc.....I really was looking forward to getting old and just beng able to let loise with tongue n get away with it!!!

susanmanley

donnellysdogs said:
I thought the best thing about getting older was being able to get away 'without biting your tongue'.... People expect 'grumpy old men' etc.....I really was looking forward to getting old and just beng able to let loise with tongue n get away with it!!!

And it is our duty to live up to this expectation :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have to post this one :lol:
Last night I rushed to my gentle exercise class .
Had - had a busy day - so changed in a last minute rush !
Arrived at the class it was usual full all 18 of us in the group .

We all got going doing our exercises and I felt so weird in my pants
kept trying to get my knickers from digging in me...
It drove me nuts - kept thinking well they are 'all the same size' so
it cant be a too small a size on me .

After having a GREAT time at the class - I do so LOVE going and get so
much out of it :thumbup:
When I got home - had to investigate my discomfort with my pants as it was
driving me doo lally ...
Discovered in my rush to get ready I had put the leg around my waist and the pants
were on sideways :shock:
No wonder I was so uncomfy during the class .
Wont be doing this 'again'

Anna.

susanmanley

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did that some years ago...nearly went to doctor because of aweful stomach pains before I realised!!!!
Husband still teases me about it!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi GraceK. Well said, but you're just a youngster. I started driving a seven and a half ton truck at sixty - just after being diagnosed with the dreaded T2. I was on Metformin for about two years, and it wrecked my stomach, so my "birthday present" of insulin - four times a day - was a mixed blessing. I've just hit the speed limit [70] but I do not intend to ever grow up beyond 28 [the age of my mind]. The only problem is that I can't do the big truck now because I am on insulin.
I am still a [frustrated] rock musician, just moving from guitar to synthesiser; I love photography [digital set me free to have a darkroom without all those messy chemicals]; my wife and I ferquently go to the Stables Music Venue at Wavendon [Milton Keynes] where she is a volunteer, [she's a young 67]. We have twins - a boy and a girl - both(?) in their early 30s; our daughter's married to a musician and graphic artist [both the same person!] like her mother. Our son's a toyboy, living in Germany with a lovely American lady who is [a bit] older than him [she won't tell us how old she is, but she has two grown-up sons].
I don't mind diabetes too much; the needle is a bit of a pain sometimes; as an ex-cyclist, I've no fat on my legs, so I have lots of holes in my stomach - but the neuropathy is a real pain. Mine is temperature related, so it hurts when I touch anything cold; the recent snow was hard, but the neuropathy seems to have eased since last summer when I had three out of the four alternatives. We know a young lady who is T1 and has lived on carbs most of her life. She hasn't eaten for two years; her stomach rejects any kind of food, so they [the medics] have just removed it. She had neuropathy in her stomach [the one I did not have] - not nice, especially since she found out that her problems might have been caused by medics who kept giving her some different drug to relieve the side-effects of their previous prescription. She is just fory-five; so if you're not sure what you're medic is giving you, ask - and keep asking.
I am just moving to low-carb; hard at my time of life, especially since my wife doesn't really cook. So we visit the big T[escos] regularly for pre-pared food. I have started to eat seeds and nuts, getting ready for my wings when my life does come to an end and I move on to the next one; but although I enjoy being invisible, I hate to be an old person; I am just getting older until they have to find the right size wooden box, and I look in the mirror every day and say how beautiful I look.

susanmanley

Funny moment

2 years ago we went to Cardiff and ended up in the centre, walking around just as clubs were turning out [another story] and went and bought some fish and chips [Oh! Horror] and sat on a large rock 'thing'. As we sat there a drug dealer pulled up in his flashy car and began trading, shortly followed by some girls of the night setting up shop the other side of us. We could, literally, have stretched out an arm an touched them.
They were completely oblivious of us and all the action was going on around us. We finished our supper and went on our way, still un-noticed.
We were completely invisible and obviously no threat so wondered if we ought to join the plain clothers!!!

Needless to say my children were horrified but we were gently amused!!!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
susanmanley said:
Funny moment

2 years ago we went to Cardiff and ended up in the centre, walking around just as clubs were turning out [another story] and went and bought some fish and chips [Oh! Horror] and sat on a large rock 'thing'. As we sat there a drug dealer pulled up in his flashy car and began trading, shortly followed by some girls of the night setting up shop the other side of us. We could, literally, have stretched out an arm an touched them.
They were completely oblivious of us and all the action was going on around us. We finished our supper and went on our way, still un-noticed.
We were completely invisible and obviously no threat so wondered if we ought to join the plain clothers!!!

Needless to say my children were horrified but we were gently amused!!!

That takes the 'invisibility' I was talking about to another level. :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Susan sounds like you blended well into the scene :lol:

Last night at our ladies keep fit class new year/my birthday meal .

It was mentioned that they are holding a craft making/skills afternoon 2-4pm
every other staurday.
Here we can natter and make cards, learn to knit,crochet, make crafts to sell etc...
[am going as would love to re-learn to crochet, was taught many years ago by my grandma
but have completely forgotten]

Also one monday a month - we can do a bake and take/taste [swap a recipe]
Thought this is great opportunity to make something ideal for diabetics and set example
that meals for us diabetics can be as tasty if not 'more' tasty ... :thumbup:
Use the chance to educate the ladies who are asking me loads of questions about living
and coping with diabetes.

I am 'loving' this stage in my life getting 'more' invites to things and umpteen pop around for a brew n chats too .
Its lovely and have to plan my weeks now to fit it all in :p

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm loving being fit enough to be back at work. I'm loving having some energy left at the end of each day rather than feeling like I'm running on empty. I'm loving being 59 and learning a new job again. I'm now working as a med sec in a psychiatric hospital and it's a really lovely place to work and I'm finding it so interesting and stimulating. The first couple of weeks were really hard as I'd been off ill for a year, been diagnosed with T2 ... yada yada yada ... so returning to work was daunting for me because I really wasn't sure whether I'd cope.

I need a good memory and to pay close attention to detail in my job and I'm very conscientious so I was really stressing over it at first. Also there's no 'phased return to work' for temps, it was just straight in at the deep end and I've done it! And my BGs haven't been too much affected by the added stresses. So Yaaaaaaayyy for Seniors!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
donnellysdogs said:
A person can join SAGA at 50... I went on a SAGA hol at 40 It was like having a vision of the future at 40 yrs old)

I was told that SAGA was an acronym for Sex And Games for the Aged, a sort of senior version for Club 18-30.

susanmanley

anna sounds like your busy
I run a fortnightly craft group in our little village and it is a great success. It is in my house so getting brather cosy as numbers increase but it is fun to learn from each other new skills and have a proper chin-wag!!!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update to all ...
Guess what - I can 'CROCHET' again :D
Only took me about 15mins of fumbling about a bit clumsily
then - I discovered I had "cracked it" .
Was off and away then ...
Had a lovely natter and brew with the ladies AND gents .
Pleasant suprise to see blokes there too, all chipping in...

Brought the crocheting home to practice with, till 2 weeks time we
all meet up again at the crafts club.
Finding the crocheting relaxes me mentally and gives my fingers something to twiddle with .
Found putting the wool down my top easier though :p
As it keeps rolling off my lap due to my very skinny legs .
So will keep practising this during the next couple of weeks .

They only ask for a £1. per person and have been going 18months of time.
In this time they have raised money for 2 charities and paid for the vicars son
to do his work in africa.
Plus they help towards the lights/heating costs of the room .
As they get the room ,heating,lighting totally free of charge to hold the club at .

Yep I am being kept busy these days susan , but I am happy and feel so appreciative
of the chances/opportunities to have more fun and activity in my life .
Am finding life is great and I am learning new skills, getting more active,
meeting/making new friendships with some lovely generous ladies and men .
Life is 'good' and I do feel blessed and cared for by others warmly welcoming me .

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Whooooo hoo! Well done Anna! You sound like you're having lots of fun and enjoying yourself.

I love crochet too. In fact I love making things - full stop. Yet I haven't turned my hand to doing anything practical for years.

I used to do lots of knitting, crochet and needlework in my teens and 20's when it was more fashionable to make your own clothes then. I taught myself from books, mainly to show my school needlework teacher that I wasn't the 'useless needlewoman' she'd had me pegged as. The funny thing was that I bumped into her in the street years afterwards when I had my two sons with me, both dressed in school uniforms that I'd made myself which looked much better than anything you could buy at M & S. Boy was that a proud moment for me!!! :lol: I even did a short woodwork course and an interior design course in my late 30s but it was round the time I started to become ill and couldn't carry on with it. But I'd have loved to have taken it further.

But I stopped doing it when all the cheap goods flooded the market and it was cheaper to buy than make your own - but you know what? I just might take it up again having heard your story because I'd forgotten the sheer pleasure and enjoyment I got from hand crafting something unique.

It's a lovely skill and I don't want to lose the knack forever so thank you for sharing your story and your enthusiasm Anna. :D You've given me something to think about. I've got a set of watercolours in a cupboard somewhere that's just waiting for me to get round to having a go at ... so I might start with that. :thumbup:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grace, I am good at drawing with coloured pencils :)
Would love to paint using watercolours so I may investigate any classes
to learn this - this coming spring :thumbup:
Good for you grace with your needlework/knitting skills and proving the school
teacher well wrong :clap:

True - you DO get so much pleasure and a real sense of pride out of handmaking or home baking something !

We have a monthly bake and take evening - where we bake/cook something .
All have a taste then do recipe's swaps etc...
Will have a rummage on the recipes here on DCUK and make something tasty yet
diabetic friendly .
Let them all get stuck into it first - gauge their responses first :shh:
Then I can spout the hidden gem with it - its ideal for diabetics - as there is a few at
the gentle exercise class weekly .

They are doing a nightly bat walk and talk too - soon :shock:
A bat woman is giving a talk on bats n walk to see them .
Think I will give this a miss ...

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
OMG Anna ... we do have a lot in common. My friend, the one who I call my 71 year old personal trainer who's building his own house at the moment (I can't keep up with the man) ... he's having to incorporate 'bat bricks' in the walls of his proposed new home because he's building it on a site where bats have been in residence and still are in an old barn which he owns nearby. The trouble that man has gone to, to research into bat habits and making his own bat boxes etc is amazing. And I used to look out of my bedroom window and watch the bats flying around at night.

Must admit, although I'm a fan of conservation and protecting endangered species, bats aren't my favourite animal. They give me the creeps (they carry rabies) and the fact that my friend has to incorporate 'bat bricks' into his new house for the bats to roost in makes me have second thoughts about visiting him when it's built. :roll: