Sensitive to insulin

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
evening guys,

I've been thinking I've been using less insulin all week but today I have found it perticularly difficult and looking for some advise.

I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago and controlling type 1 diabetes with around 8 units of levemir and 1 unit of novorapid for over 30g of carbs which has worked well. I've been away this week but noticed early in the week that my need was reducing.

Today I woke up at 7am @ 5.8mmol reduced my levemir to 6 units knowing I needed to do something different and had my clusters (as usual) around 60g carbs but only had 1 unit of novorapid knowing I was for some reason becoming sensitive to the insulin. By 9am I was 3.2 so had some lucozade and a cerial bar, by 10:30 I was 11.5mmol, thought I would wait until lunch to make a correction, by 13:00 and before having a sandwich and crisps I was down to 3.9mmol. Didn't have any insulin with lunch and by 15:00 I was 5.6mmol and just tested at 3.7 and feeling dreadful.

I've had a chest infection over the last week but thought that might drive my blood glucose levels to increase?

Would you consider dropping the levemir to 4 units on a night and in a morning and not bothering with Novorapid until it's clear what your blood glucose were looking like after meals and start re-introducing once I've a better understanding. Just seem to be correcting by eating all the time and really not taking anymore insulin than usual, infact I've dramatically reduced my insulin.

Thanks

Jeff

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Jeff, what's happening to you is called the honeymoon period which means your pancreas is coughing and spluttering whilst it throws out the last of your insulin. You might find you wont have to bolus for meals for a little while if you keep your carb consumption at reasonable levels.
Do check in with your DSN obviously for professional advice and also please make sure you have plenty of quick acting glucose available whilst going through this period.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jeff_uk. Obviously I can't advise what you should do regarding your insulin dosage, but I suggest you contact your can for advice.
Being so recently diagnosed you maybe be in the honeymoon period, in some instances this can result in some diabetics having to stop taking insulin for a while. The pancreas has one last go at trying to do it's job but unfortunately it's only temporary.
Seek advice asap as hypos are not good and eating to control them really isn't a long term solution.
Good luck.