Sertraline

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys - My doctor has just prescribed me antidepressants. She said that the one she had given was the best with diabetes. I've just picked up the pack of sertraline and there are so many warnings about blood sugars in the leaflets. I'm convinced she said another name when she was writing the prescription and that she said it wasn't one of the common antidepressants but sertraline seems to be coming up in the common groups on all websites. Has anyone had problems with sertraline and blood sugars? Is this the right prescription???

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @jemmaedias
may I possibly offer a sideways view on this -- for whatever reason, you are needing to help yourself to be a better you ( in how you feel )
and I know of a couple of type 1's that take this without issues.
if you are totally on top of your BG's you will soon notice if they go wonky !!

I would try it and if you do get the side effects go straight back to the doctor to review.
you will most likely be fine with this.

( haha -- mr positive am I !! ) :)

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! I was on anti depressant (also a type one diabetic). I was on a tablet called setraline. But I never had any problems and over all. And helped with my control because I felt better overall. But if your worried or notice any side effects just let you doctor know, but it does take a bit of time to kick in! Let me know how it goes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have any doubts about the name of the medication, I suggest that you contact your doctor to confirm it was the right name.

Reactions: dbr10

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jemmaedias,

I can't say whether it was the right prescription for you - however, I took Sertraline for a short while last year, and at the time, I recall being told that there was strong evidence (comparative to others) that it produced good results in people with diabetes - I strongly suspect that this is what your doctor was referring to.

As for the warnings, any anti-depressant will have warnings about blood sugar control (so that's not specific to Sertraline) - however, I completely understand that the patient information leaflet on any drug can sometimes be enough to put you off taking it at all, especially if there are underlying anxiety issues; if you suffer from anxiety, this can also cause you to doubt yourself, and what you've been told. Until you know how the Sertaline will affect you, you could always try a lower carb diet, for a short while, just to limit the amount of insulin in your system at any one time; and of course, check your sugars more regularly, to note any patterns.

I don't know what specific issues you're facing - but you're clearly taking steps to overcome them; stay strong, and take your doctor's advice - if it helps, there's no harm in contacting your doctor just to check that everything's in order! :)

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys - My doctor has just prescribed me antidepressants. She said that the one she had given was the best with diabetes. I've just picked up the pack of sertraline and there are so many warnings about blood sugars in the leaflets. I'm convinced she said another name when she was writing the prescription and that she said it wasn't one of the common antidepressants but sertraline seems to be coming up in the common groups on all websites. Has anyone had problems with sertraline and blood sugars? Is this the right prescription???
I've had no problems with it. In my case, I needed it because, on top of the diagnosis, the realisation that the NHS was not going to look after me either, in terms of incorrect diet advice and completely inadequate treatment was just too much.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have been on sertraline for 18 months with no bs rising levels.
I am also on a antipsycotic which is known to cause higher readings, but so far they have not been too gad

Reactions: Liam1955 and dbr10

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi :). Have just been prescribed today Sertraline 50mg by my GP and to take 1 tablet every morning then go back to see GP in 14 days time. I will be monitoring my Blood Sugars more closely as I take Insulin and Diabetic Tablets daily.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi :). Have just been prescribed today Sertraline 50mg by my GP and to take 1 tablet every morning then go back to see GP in 14 days time. I will be monitoring my Blood Sugars more closely as I take Insulin and Diabetic Tablets daily.
I'm sure they have helped me and I have not noticed any problems. Of course, if the NHS had not completely destroyed my faith in the "treatment" I would not have needed them.

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey hope your ok,

I have been taking sertraline 50mg since last October and my blood sugars have been completely fine.

I guess it is important to bare in mind that each medication effects people differently so side effect wise no one is the same.

I will add that it is probably a rare occurance that it will affect your BS but if you notice any changes, tell your GP.

Sertraline has been a god sent medication for my depression and I hope you have just as much success.

One love ❤️

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank You @Mark-optimistic that is reassuring to know 're: Blood Sugars. I have just started taking 50mg today.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke up with a terrible headache and after 4 hours still have the headache. Today is only my fourth day of being on Sertraline 50mg - anyone else suffered with headaches whilst taking this drug?

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive been in sertine for a number of years now and was only recney dognesed as type 2 ive had no problem with the sertine or the other i was perscibed

Reactions: Liam1955

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up with a terrible headache and after 4 hours still have the headache. Today is only my fourth day of being on Sertraline 50mg - anyone else suffered with headaches whilst taking this drug?
at the begging yes drink water to rehydret and give it time for your body to ajust

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey hope your ok,

I have been taking sertraline 50mg since last October and my blood sugars have been completely fine.

I guess it is important to bare in mind that each medication effects people differently so side effect wise no one is the same.

I will add that it is probably a rare occurance that it will affect your BS but if you notice any changes, tell your GP.

Sertraline has been a god sent medication for my depression and I hope you have just as much success.

One love ❤️
samee here and in on 200 mg a day

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is nearly 4 months now that I began taking 1 x 50mg of Sertraline a day.
I feel so positive as there are things that I have done/achieved in this short time that I haven't done for a number years. :)
My blood sugars are in the 6's for Fasting and before meals, Diabetes Nurse is happy with these figures and so am I.:happy:

Reactions: serenity648

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not noticed any problems

Babyweed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was put on sertraline about a month ago and if anything my bs are better I think it's because I'm feeling more positive in myself

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on sertraline about a month ago and if anything my bs are better I think it's because I'm feeling more positive in myself
Possibly more relaxed and less stressed (hopefully)