Sesame flour

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have posted elsewhere about the amazing keto scone recipe I found recently which has reintroduced to my diet something which feels carby even though it isn’t. This makes me happy.... sometimes only something cakey will do!

Anyway, coconut flour... it’s a necessary evil as it does improve the texture of the mix, makes it ‘shorter’, with a better crumb, but then, there is that coconut flavour. The scones are great, but I could do without that coconutty background. Enter sesame flour - the one I have (courtesy of Amazon, that fine purveyor of all foodstuffs weird, keto and overpriced) claims to have 4.57g of carbs per 100g (curiously precise analysis!).

I have substituted half the coconut four for sesame flour - the texture suffers a little but not too much, and that blasted coconut is subdued. It’s still there, but much less so. I shall continue to experiment, the goal is to beat the coconut into submission sufficiently that an unsweetened scone could accompany a savoury meal. The sesame flour seems to be somewhere between almond flour and coconut flour in terms of texture and behaviour and doesn’t seem to taste of much, so it seems like a useful addition to collection of mildly exotic flours!