Sets failing over and over and over

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi
I've been on a pump for nearly ten years and I've never had any success using any site other than my stomach.
I used the quicksets at first. The 9mm were too long and kinked and 6mm fell out.
8 years ago I switched to silhouettes and they've been fine until recently. I've lost over a stone and a half in weight (bmi now under 18) and I've started to find the sets fail. Not when I put them in but about a day or so into it my sugar will suddenly hit 20 and I take the set out and it's bent double. Even without that I'm struggling to keep my sugars down so I think that the insulin absorption isn't great and my sugar is sitting between 8-11 BUT I am not eating anything. Which means I'm losing more weight.

I saw the dsn yesterday and she gave me a 6mm mio to try and advised me to try a different site. Well it failed. Sugar went from 8 to 17 without eating and when I took the mio out it bled like crazy and left a big red lump.
I have a sure T to try but I'm not optimistically. I'm so fed up because I'm starving all the time and I can't reliably get insulin in. I've lost all faith in the pump.

Has anyone had to actually give up and accept they've got to go back to mdi? I'm nearly at that point. It's hopeless right now.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ExtremelyW0rried I was having issues using the mios, I re-acted to the plastic cannulas and they would kink on me too so switched to sure-t's - they are steel cannula, very rarely have an issue now, can you get hold of these ?

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ExtremelyW0rried - Just picked up this blurb from their website:

The MiniMed Quick-set infusion set is our most popular infusion set. This 90°, soft cannula infusion set combines ease of use with maximum comfort. The MiniMed Quick-serter® may be used to easily and comfortably insert the cannula under your skin.

The MiniMed Quick-set is available in four tubing lengths and two cannula lengths. The 6mm length cannula is most suitable for lean individuals and is available in 18", 23", 32", and 43" lengths. The 9mm cannula is recommended for everyone else and is available in 23", 32", and 43" lengths.