Severe Cold

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
So l was going to go for a flu jab but hub came down with a dose of flu and spent the week in bed with chills and fever. I got a minor version last week off him. As l was able to function it wasn't flu have had that 2xs over the years. l have not been to bed to me it was a serious cold but a total ***** l must say.

Now week 2 still feel like l have been hit by a bus and have a cough like a 100 a day smoker. Problem is when l get a cough it can last for months and until now l have just suffered it and been to dr if it hasn't gone in around 5 months. Problem is with now being T2 l am wondering if l should give it about 3 more weeks to go then if/when it hasn't go see the dr for some meds.

What does everyone else do when they get a serious cold and cough?

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mud Island Dweller,

can I ask you how this has effected your BS levels as I have been off work now all this week with a nasty cold and stomach bug and my fasting reading this morning was 12.8. Totally terrified me as I watched my Dad's sugar levels go up and up until it caused kidney failure. Too scared to take a test again. I have not had an illness like this since my diagnosis so i don't know if this is normal. Does this happen to others?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
bloods been in the 6s when l take them l am a lchf though and keep tight control outside of this. l jave had 2 bags of worchester crisps didnt bother taking after that as would have been high l just needed the tang of the flavouring.
l am sure l have been higher at times but didnt bother taking bloods and l wasnt in a position to do excercise as at work.... or feel up to it anyhow so just as the saying goes sucked it up

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply, after posting last night I phoned my Aunt who has been diabetic for 12 years and also has this bug. She says she never tests when she is ill as it is just too depressing and just gives a false picture of how well she is controlled which is very well by the way. She is still only taking 1 Metformin a day and never as a reading above 7

Notice from your information you must have been diagnosed at the same time as me, but your Hb1ac is much better than mine. It was last taken 2 months ago and came out at 7.1.

I know what you mean about 'the tang' sometimes you need a strong flavour when you have a cold, had home made curry the other night, very nice and good for a cold all those spices and chilli.

I have to ask you and if you have been asked before then sorry, but why Mud Island Dweller?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I was Dx in November last year and started to go lower carb (found this place about day 1) tried a bit of the low gi but it did me no favours l just went up later so at Xmas l went full low carb try to do about 30g/day course some days more others less but as an average.

I agree with your Aunt about not doing testing much when ill, no point it wastes sticks. In my case for reasons stated it was just a general eye l kept. Wasn't really depressed over it just p***ed off that l was ill (l always am when ill).

I have found that if l take the pill it bounces my bloods up quite a bit so l booted it into touch. As your profile says female if you are on the pill be aware that may affect you.

I was born and bred in Rhodesia now Zimbabwe and we (Southern Hemispehrians) call UK Mud Island cause it is so wet/muddy, as l live here now l added the Dweller part :)

Reactions: 2 people