Severe insulin resistance

Brettskee

Consultant says I have a severe insulin resistance tried all sorts of insulin doses and different types of insulin found one just before Xmas had readings of around 10ish first time been that stable for a whole month thought great picked up this months insulin different one they say having trouble getting hold of tressiba so gave me a different one again readings around 20 -25 .Is there nothing else I should be taking if I am insulin resistant I’m on something called dapagloflozin and 4 metformin 120 units of basal and 60 - 80 units of humalog with food which it does work let’s say I’m at 21 I have 60 -80 units of humalog sugars come down to 9 -10 within 30 mins then rocket back up higher than I was before not a one off constantly happens any ideas as need some kind of help as neuropathy has got to stage 3-4 and hospital just say tytrate your insulin by 10 units just feel like I’m speaking to a brick wall sorry for long post thx

jessA2024

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultant says I have a severe insulin resistance tried all sorts of insulin doses and different types of insulin found one just before Xmas had readings of around 10ish first time been that stable for a whole month thought great picked up this months insulin different one they say having trouble getting hold of tressiba so gave me a different one again readings around 20 -25 .Is there nothing else I should be taking if I am insulin resistant I’m on something called dapagloflozin and 4 metformin 120 units of basal and 60 - 80 units of humalog with food which it does work let’s say I’m at 21 I have 60 -80 units of humalog sugars come down to 9 -10 within 30 mins then rocket back up higher than I was before not a one off constantly happens any ideas as need some kind of help as neuropathy has got to stage 3-4 and hospital just say tytrate your insulin by 10 units just feel like I’m speaking to a brick wall sorry for long post thx
Can you get in touch with your diabetes team or ask gp to refer you back to them. Sounds like may need help. In hand to get them back under control again.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Brettskee

Just had a appointment with the hospital he says try and find a pharmacy that does tressiba not very helpful . They keep on saying that I need to be admitted in hospital to do some tests but says they haven’t got the resources to carry out these certain tests I do see them every 6 weeks

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just had a appointment with the hospital he says try and find a pharmacy that does tressiba not very helpful .
Has he given you a script for tresiba? And is it the 200units/ml that he wants you to take? (It comes in two strengths.)

I believe there is a shortage of the 100U/ml strength, but that is only for prefilled pens. If he gives you a script for the 200 u/ml one or the version of the pen which has cartridges, there hopefully shouldn't be a problem?

Good luck.

Brettskee

Hi Elliem yes it’s the 100u/ml flexie pen the pharmacy are going to change the prescription to a cartridge which they say they can still get . Don’t get why they didn’t do this before instead of putting me on another insulin called levimir seems a strange thing to do to turn round and say we can’t get that insulin so this one will do didnt think pharmacists could just change things without drs or consultants say so pharmacists have also done this before with a few of my other medications thx for posting back

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this will be a bind but reduce as many carbs as you can until you get the insulin type sorted.
I have this problem too, but not as bad - need 10 units fast-acting insulin per 10 g carbs - so I reduced carbs to 30 g/day and eat steak and eggs, spinach and cheese.

Reactions: Speedbird

Brettskee

Ii would like to say that I put it down to carbs I have been going 3/4 days without eating a thing as have had some problems with eating any thing at all just had a emergency op on my stomach which I have been telling them for over a year seen different docs been waiting and waiting for a appointment then a doctor rings me up out of the blue about 1 of my meds I told her my situation with not eating and other probs she sent me for a test next thing I know 4 days later I was on the operation table so just in recovery from that and only just starting infact today I eat something that I’ve not been able to eat for over a year it was a beutiful piece of rib eye steak checked my sugars before they were 19.6 checked 1 hour later 13.4 didn’t take no humalog as I’m so unsure with bgs being so erratic now my bloods are 18.4 4 hours after dinner with the libre arrow pointing straight up just don’t no what to do lost over 3 and half stone due to not eating and pain hopefully I can carry on eating without any probs then I probably will get insulin doses sorted then .I do think bgs are something to do with the amount of pain I’m in sorry for long post and thx

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77