Severe Telling Off!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When starting lowcarb I think it is best for people to have a large cooked breakfast, eg lots of eggs. A cooked breakfast often result in people not wishing to snack, and as it is made at home is 100% under your control. Once your body is used to lowcarb, then consider skipping breakfast, as have a long time between the last meal of a day and the first meal of the next day is good.

I mostly eat fresh meat from Aldi with fresh green veg, using a little butter or olive oil when cooking the veg. The leftovers can become the next days lunch.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose are now my fave, taking over from Heck :hungry:
I quite like the M&S ones and they are quite often on a two pack for £5 offer. I find the skins on the Waitrose a bit tough sometimes and have been known to remove them pre cooking..

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When starting low carb I think it is best for people to have a large cooked breakfast, eg lots of eggs.

A cooked breakfast often result in people not wishing to snack,
and as it is made at home is 100% under your control.

Once your body is used to low carb,
then consider skipping breakfast,
as have a long time between the last meal of a day and the first meal of the next day is good.

I mostly eat fresh meat from Aldi with fresh green veg, using a little butter or olive oil when cooking the veg.
The leftovers can become the next days lunch.

Great post @ringi

not sure if we are descending FROM a mountain
OR
Climbing ONE..(i guess that depends on how we perceive each stage.)

For me, at this moment in time, it IS coming down from the top of SUGAR Mountain.

There are many routes, but i've chosen the stage by stage, rather then some of the keto abseiling some do..Lol

and THAT post of yours, for me is great advice to many starting out.

Why make it a miserable existence, for those like me, when we can stage it, and make it more
A) manageable
B) sustainable in the long term

I went from eating as i did (pre T2D . A lot, yeah way too much,..and cr*p choices, i know now )
to eating less, yeah way less (first DX)...And still cr*p choices, i know now..(thank you health 'Gurus'...:rolleyes: )

So when i came here, i was emaciated (at least it felt so ....:hilarious: ) and desperate for 'ANOTHER' way.
i now eat very well, AND i eat a lot ..( or so it seems..though i now think it's just got a lot easier to fill up on less food )

So
Stage 1 was Survival....Check.
stage 2 was advice on FOOD plans...check
stage 3 was LCHF...check
stage 4 was ARRIVE at CAMP 42HBA1c....check..
dance.gif

Stage 5 was heading for IF and OMAD...work in progress
Stage 6 Back at basecamp Sub40HBA1c...ETA unknown
Stage 7 Normal life..CANCELLED...
Stage 7a New destination "Better Normal Life 2.0 "

And for me the stepping stone there WAS the breakfast..

as you say, IT sustained me, it allowed me to eat, and let me see i COULD go further without feeling hungry then i thought possible on a low carb diet..
it helped me reduce the snacking i needed previously, to ward of the 'shakes' as i call them or hunger pangs, probably more correctly, but i did feel rough, whatever they are called.

It then gave me stability in my diet, and now i find i CAN and do miss the odd meal.
breakfast some days gets pushed right back to brunch time
i now regularly go 2MAD.
I do also now find that my "Eyes TOO big for belly"..
( as a chinese waiter once observed at the shameful amount of food we left)
is becoming an issue once more, BUT in a really GOOD way.

I've had occasion recently where i've loaded a plate up with greens etc, and two slice of gammon .
only to find i could not eat half of it..and felt full much earlier then expected..and that's continued.

I've taken to placing some meal in bowls..(i kid myself it's chinese-y ;) )..and that cuts down the portions as well.
tonight was spinach and some broccoli, with a few slices of prosciutto..and full, again.:D.

So i fully support your idea,
* stabilize your diet, ( make base camp),
* seek advice (here, not there..you know where i mean :rolleyes: )
* then map your descent down the mountain
* set out at a steady pace, ( that helps reduces the risks of falls (fails :woot:). )
* Make regular stops to check progress..( i found changes creep up, sort of unnoticed )
* keep in touch with SUPPORT TEAMS, let them know how your doing, so they don't worry and can offer guidance.

And hopefully, HOWEVER we get there...

We ALL get to the bottom, safe & sound..no frost bite (fingers and toes, and ALL bits in tact )
And ready for that BIG OLD BBQ on the beach...:D

[ NB: my original goal was lower HBA1c..AND weight loss.
and i had NO idea how that was going to be done.

Once i got on here, i stopped worrying about the weight loss,
i never even look at calories, it's ALL about the CARBS for me..
and the weight has just taken care of it's self...:) ]

Last edited:

togram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Back from the G.P and just been told I now need to lose weight urgently to prevent insulin use (currently T2 oral meds maximum available doses) I’m honest enough to admit I’ve been in denial and ignorance of my condition this last 18 months and the weight has now piled on (approx. 21st) but i really need help. Medical professionals can only give so much help and I’m hoping users here will help give me courage and strength to battle this next few months. Truth is I just don’t know where to begin/what to eat/what to avoid/exercise/slimming groups. Is the simple answer lose weight and cut out sugar?! TIA, Sean.