Sglt2 Inhibitors (sodium-glucose Transporter (2) Inhibitors)

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning,
havent been on here for sometime. Ive just come back from my Diabetic review with my Diabetic Nurse. We discussed a lot but amongst the discussion we talked about another medication that could help reduce my blood sugar levels which are quite high.(73!) We have decided to try an SGLT2 (cant remember the name of it, going to collect this afternoon). Apparently this medication works with the kidneys rather than the Pancreas. Has anyone else taken this medication and if so did it help, any side effects. SHe did tell me that because it filters out glucose through the kidneys then i will for a will have a high sugar level in my urine which could lead to some (treatable) issues. But any opinions/info from you guys would be welcome.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Drinks a lot of water and add a little salt to your food, as you will be putting more of both down the wc along with the glucose. To limit side effect reduce how much glucose is added to your body by avoiding any food and drink with suger in it, and most carbs.

Reactions: Kellrob

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Started one last week and stopped today due to developing early signs of DKA which is one of the side effects (though a rare one) so make sure you have ketone strips and check if you feel any of the symptoms even if bg is fine.

Reactions: Hotpepper20000

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Started one last week and stopped today due to developing early signs of DKA which is one of the side effects (though a rare one) so make sure you have ketone strips and check if you feel any of the symptoms even if bg is fine.

This should only happen if your insulin levels are very low, eg LADA misdiagnosed as type2, therefore for ask to see consultant.

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This should only happen if your insulin levels are very low, eg LADA misdiagnosed as type2, therefore for ask to see consultant.
I see the consultant anyway. GP has let him know what happened.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Note to other people, a low level of ketone is expected with sglt2 inhibitors just like with low carb diets hence don't panic unless ketones are increasing to a higher level. Also with dka people feel very ill therefore if you do not feel ill there is unlikely to be an immediate risk.

Reactions: Kellrob