Shaking after meals

Ronniemoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with Prediabetes and have been carefully watching my diet. I have been concerned that sometimes after breakfast I get shaking hands. I was concerned about this and bought a blood glucose monitor. I don’t want to become obsessive about testing my blood sugar levels, so I only intend to use it when I’m not feeling well.
I got the shakes yesterday after a breakfast of an egg, a slice of ham and a slice of seed bread and did a test, the reading was 8.3.
Does this shaking sound normal or should I consult my doctor?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shaking hands after eating is not normal.
But a blood glucose reading of 8.3 is not likely to be the cause.

It is often easy to blame diabetes for everything - even doctors try it sometimes. But it does not stop us getting other health problems.
Please see a doctor and discuss your experience.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with Prediabetes and have been carefully watching my diet. I have been concerned that sometimes after breakfast I get shaking hands. I was concerned about this and bought a blood glucose monitor. I don’t want to become obsessive about testing my blood sugar levels, so I only intend to use it when I’m not feeling well.
I got the shakes yesterday after a breakfast of an egg, a slice of ham and a slice of seed bread and did a test, the reading was 8.3.
Does this shaking sound normal or should I consult my doctor?
Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you're only testing when you don't feel well you'll get a skewed impression of wjhat your blood glucose is doing - it'll tell you what's going on when you don't feel well, but very little abouit how food and other things affect you. And you've then got nothing to compare it with.

If your A1c has moved out of normal range, which means your blood glucose has risen, it's a sign that you probably have a problem dealing with carbohydrates. Reducing the carbs in your diet often produces a substantial drop in blood glucose figures quite quickly - it did so for me.

Of what you ate, only the bread has carbs - how much depends on the size of the slice. One reading doesn't tell you a lot: it shows where you finished up but not where you started, so there's no way of telling what the bread's actual impact was. You might have been at 7.0 before eating, or at 5.0. I'd draw different conclusions depending on the baseline reading.

The other thing is that not eveything is diabtetes/blood sugar related. It's quite possible for us to get other stuff as well. I have no experience of shaking or tremors as you describe, and I don't recall ever reading anyone reporting it as a symptom. My advice would be to talk to your doctor about it.

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Ronniemoo
Can't say I've heard of shaking hands being caused by blood sugar and your test result kind of confirms that.
8.3 is a little higher than I would like, but it's not massively high and can be explained by the bread.
Diagnosis can be quite a shock to the system, I was wondering if your shaking hands had something to do with any anxiety you may be having, especially around your meals.
You need to really get some advice from your Dr, just incase there is something else going on

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just read your info.
Three things, the shaking could be, a sudden drop of blood glucose levels from a spike called a false hypo.
It could also be the effects from the covid that causes the diabetes.
I am a year younger and it is not unusual for our age group to get something like Essential Tremor disorder. I cannot hold a fork in my left hand due to shaking.
So I would speak to your GP. Because I'm guessing!

The best way to use a monitor is before meals and two hours after.

Keep safe.

Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak