Sharing encouraging news!

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all!

I posted last week about my expectations around bringing down my BG readings.

I had it in my head that my FBG at diagnosis was 13, and my HBA1C was 18. Turns out I was wrong, I checked the results again, and that the real figures were actually FBG 18, A1C 13.Yikes.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 ten days ago and in that time have gone from BG 18 to an average of 7.5. That’s obviously still high and I clearly still have a way to go, but I have been very encouraged by this drop after only 10 days. It’s made me motivated to keep working hard and trying to get my levels down to a normal level.

I was told by my GP not to test. But decided that that was total nonsense and went ahead and bought one myself. I use an SD Codefree meter I got from Amazon and downloaded a glucose tracking app called ‘Blood Glucose Tracker’ which is really easy to use and view results and trends. It’s meant I’ve been able to see that my body really doesn’t like any morning carbs, and that I’ve certainly got dawn phenomenon as a challenge to address!

I thought I would share this here in the hopes that other newbies might feel some hope!

Changes I’ve made since diagnosis:

Medication: I was on 500mg of Metformin for 3 days, 1000mg for a few more, and as of yesterday I’m on 1500g per day.

Diet: 1300 calorie diet, under 50g carbs per day, plenty of water

Exercise: 2 miles walk a day (weekdays, as brisk as possible)

Testing: I test on waking, before and after meals (2 hours) and do some random spot checks, I record everything on my app.

Support: When I was first diagnosed I felt humiliated and didn’t really want to open up to people about it. I’ve now started sharing everything about it with my partner – screen-shotting good readings, enthusing when I find a tasty low-carb recipe. I’m also chatting more with my Type 1 Dad and we're commiserating together about how 'Muggles' don’t understand. It’s made a huge difference to my mood. I realise that I’m very lucky with my support system, but if you have one – use it. I wanted to keep it all inside at first. I'm glad I didn't.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oh Well done! Smashing results in such a short space of time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff. Sure you’ll continue to make good progress - a positive attitude and taking control are key in my view.

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very good news, well done. I too was told not to test but ignored that bit of advise from the Diabetic nurse.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent progress well done I agree it’s important to talk to others and get support but it can be hard whatever problem is and diabetes type 2 , like mental health differences, is one of those issues where the media does tend to suggest it’s the fault of the individual - so the more open we are the better. It helps us being open but it also helps others manage a health issue that could affect anyone.

maltham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
gym
I'm with you entirely on the process, my route to success only slightly different.
Diagnosed T2 early December with a HB1AC of 95 (!!!) the first thing my doc did was to arrange for Glicazide (not used) and a Nexus Gluco Rx meter.

The first reading was 23.5 - I asked the nurse "was that bad". She said better talk to the doctor....

Since then I have:

- tested 4 or 5 times per day to see what works and what is a problem
- gone on to a low carb diet, cutting out all processed foods, snacks, bread, pasta, spuds, biscuits, sugar etc
- really upped the walking & exercise - averaging 10,000 steps per day about 7km / 4.4mi

The BG readings came down and down, without drugs, and now average around 6. Best readings under 5, occasional oddities up to 8.

Enjoying the new diet, feeling great and losing a bit of weight (I'm not really overweight at 77kgs & BMI of 24)

Even better my wife is fully supportive and on the same diet AND losing weight as well :)

Last edited:

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations. Good result. But why would anybody tell me not to monitor my health. You are your best doctor in the first instance. This forum has been of tremendous help to some of us. You don't have to wait till next appointment date to have your questions answered from experienced members of the forum.

Reactions: Guzzler

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your kind responses!
This forum has been such a valuable resource already. It seems whatever new, scary thing diabetes throws at me, I can find someone on here who has been through something similar.

And as an update: I've found that eating 4 or 5 almonds immediately after testing in the morning is stopping my steady BG rise throughout the morning that I was experiencing. I'm also delaying breakfast which seems to be helping to keep me stable. BG is still higher than it should be upon waking, so I need to tackle that, but at least i'm not seeing the scary rise I was before!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your kind responses!
This forum has been such a valuable resource already. It seems whatever new, scary thing diabetes throws at me, I can find someone on here who has been through something similar.

And as an update: I've found that eating 4 or 5 almonds immediately after testing in the morning is stopping my steady BG rise throughout the morning that I was experiencing. I'm also delaying breakfast which seems to be helping to keep me stable. BG is still higher than it should be upon waking, so I need to tackle that, but at least i'm not seeing the scary rise I was before!

I find that nuts (or a coffeewithcream) does exactly the same thing to stop my morning bg rise. :)

Well done for taking the bull by the horns and getting to grips with this so quickly. It will stand you in very good stead in the future. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi all!

I posted last week about my expectations around bringing down my BG readings.

I had it in my head that my FBG at diagnosis was 13, and my HBA1C was 18. Turns out I was wrong, I checked the results again, and that the real figures were actually FBG 18, A1C 13.Yikes.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 ten days ago and in that time have gone from BG 18 to an average of 7.5. That’s obviously still high and I clearly still have a way to go, but I have been very encouraged by this drop after only 10 days. It’s made me motivated to keep working hard and trying to get my levels down to a normal level.

I was told by my GP not to test. But decided that that was total nonsense and went ahead and bought one myself. I use an SD Codefree meter I got from Amazon and downloaded a glucose tracking app called ‘Blood Glucose Tracker’ which is really easy to use and view results and trends. It’s meant I’ve been able to see that my body really doesn’t like any morning carbs, and that I’ve certainly got dawn phenomenon as a challenge to address!

I thought I would share this here in the hopes that other newbies might feel some hope!

Changes I’ve made since diagnosis:

Medication: I was on 500mg of Metformin for 3 days, 1000mg for a few more, and as of yesterday I’m on 1500g per day.

Diet: 1300 calorie diet, under 50g carbs per day, plenty of water

Exercise: 2 miles walk a day (weekdays, as brisk as possible)

Testing: I test on waking, before and after meals (2 hours) and do some random spot checks, I record everything on my app.

Support: When I was first diagnosed I felt humiliated and didn’t really want to open up to people about it. I’ve now started sharing everything about it with my partner – screen-shotting good readings, enthusing when I find a tasty low-carb recipe. I’m also chatting more with my Type 1 Dad and we're commiserating together about how 'Muggles' don’t understand. It’s made a huge difference to my mood. I realise that I’m very lucky with my support system, but if you have one – use it. I wanted to keep it all inside at first. I'm glad I didn't.
Well done, MAGIC

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great job! I can’t believe people are advised not to test, how can that possibly be a responsible stance from a qualified doctor? Here in Australia they’ve also put limits and price increases on strips for T2!!! How do they expect people to take care of themselves?

Anyway, great to hear you’ve found the support network too. This forum is great.

I’ve just discovered low carb (Keto) bread - check that out if you haven’t already.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great job! I can’t believe people are advised not to test, how can that possibly be a responsible stance from a qualified doctor? Here in Australia they’ve also put limits and price increases on strips for T2!!! How do they expect people to take care of themselves?

Anyway, great to hear you’ve found the support network too. This forum is great.

I’ve just discovered low carb (Keto) bread - check that out if you haven’t already.

I couldn't believe it! She said 'You need to do everything by the book, lose weight, walk everywhere'. I have already lost 100lbs, but clearly what I was putting into my body wasn't bringing my BG levels down. I was low calorie but certainly not low carb. If I had taken her advice I would have walked away, continued my low fat diet and seen no improvement!
I'm yet to receive my referral to the nurse.

Keto bread...Now that sounds like something I can get behind.