Sharing some data

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wanted to share some data with you all.

Before going onto the pump we were having real problems with waking BG readings. There was nothing predictable about it at all, one day she'd be high, the next day at an ideal reading. It seemed that never were any two days the same although more mornings were high rather than ideal. Nothing seemed to give us a workable and predictable solution.

I think the problem was the small injection of Levemir at night time was wearing off too early resulting in a blood glucose rise from 4am. If we increased her Levemir at night time in an attempt to avoid the high morning readings then we ran into hypos at 2am, even a half unit change in dose caused a problem.

For a period of time I started getting up at 4am each morning to give her an injection of Novorapid (when needed, some days she didn't seem to need it) to keep the readings down a little but fatigue eventually got the better of me and I wasn't coping very well with it all. It simply wasn't a long term workable solution.

Jess loss hypo awareness and we had readings as low as 2.1 mmol/l without her being aware that she was low (during the daytime). I believe this was a result of regular hypos at 2am. I was becoming increasingly worried about the potential damage high morning readings were doing to her health and the possibility of a serious hypo as she had lost awareness.

I've been looking at some of the data now that we've had our first full month (Feb) on the pump. I've attached a chart showing the difference of waking readings from Feb (using a pump) and Dec (injections). The readings on the pump are so much better but in addition they are a lot more predictable and consistent. The gap between the lowest readings and the highest readings is much smaller, no more massive swings in the readings. Bear in mind that we are still experimenting with foods like pasta, pizza and paella which have resulted in a higher waking reading (the 9 & 8 mmol/l readings).

My only regret now is that we didn't get a pump much earlier. I am so grateful for having the pump, it's the best and most positive thing that's happened to us since we started this bumpy ride dealing with diabetes.

Sorry for the long story but I had to share it with people who will understand why I'm so happy :D

pumpdata.jpg

The blue line represents data from the pump, the red line represents data from injections.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here is one last piece of data, it represents average readings taken before breakfast, lunch and evening meal for each month.

The red bar graphs are from Jan and Feb (being on the pump), the other coloured bars are data from the end of last year (being on injections). The bright red bar is Jan when we first set up on the pump in the middle of the month and involved lots of tweaking to get the doses right. The dark red bar represents data from Feb, the month when we've been experimenting with pizza, pasta and paella so morning readings are slightly elevated but lunchtime readings are pretty much sorted. The bright yellow bar is the month when I was getting up at 4am to do an extra injection, it improved the morning reading but still not nearly as good as with the pump.

As you can see the morning readings are much better now. Lunch and evening meal readings were always okay but since going on the pump they have improved from okay to good. Our target on the pump is set to 6.5 mmol/l.

pumpdata2.jpg

becki

Just goes to show what a difference the pump makes! I can understand completly why you wanted to share it.

Would be interesting to see what mine would look like (graphs are a job for the hubby tho! lol)

congrats :D

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well done hun looks fab hope dylans results look as good as those can tell hes better but not quite there yet.

its amazing the difference a pump can make its just a shame more people are not offered them to begin with

well done again

anna marie

leggott

Sophia that's fantastic. We too are having the exact sAme problem with waking bgs with our son and like you we are up at various times in the night trying to avoid highs and lows. Your post has made me feel even more determined to pursue pump therapy for my kids.

Hopefully we will be pumping in the next few months! leggott

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Leggott, I really hope you get pumps for your kids soon. I have no doubt your son's problems will be resolved with a pump. I really can't see any other way around that particular problem, we tried hard but nothing seemed to work.