Sharp Bin nobody wants...

Hello,
I have a very unique situation going on, and wonder if anybody here might have a clue as to what I can do. I'm a type 2 insulin using diabetic, which leaves me with a full sharps bin. It used to be that the surgery would take them when they got full, but I was told this morning (before my regular diabetes appointment) that they now only take them in before 10am on Fridays. I was standing there holding the thing in a bag, and it would have been simple for them just to take it and add it to their medical waste dumpster, but no. Anyhow, I can't make it in there for their designated disposal hours, not before 10am, and not on Friday, and I don't know anyone who would do it for me. I understand that it is not to be put in the garbage, and I'd like to really dispose of it properly, but this surgery won't make any exceptions to their very strict rules.

So, what I'd like to know is: does anyone know of a collection service, or any other ideas? They don't make it very easy for people who have enough to deal with already, and then have to get stuck in stupid red tape and rules.

Thanks for listening, and it would be interesting to know if anyone else has had a similar situation to deal with.

SH

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I would contact your local council and see what they say.Some councils have special ,'medical' pick ups,or they could direct you to a drop off place.Explain to them that your surgery will not take them.Alternatively go to the practice manager at surgery and complain about their draconian rules!!

HAHAHA....good one Bonerp!! Only thing is, I don't feel like wasting my money on these people!! Oh well...

Thank you, Sue, and yes, I did make it extremely clear this morning how stupid I thought that rule was, and they are a surgery supposing to be there to help people. I am considering reporting them to the NHS. But I appreciate your advice about the council, and I can do that right now. Thank you...

SH

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
your local pharmacy should take them off your hands.

My local pharmacy is a Rowlands Pharmacy and i can take my full sharpes bin into them at any time of the day (providing they are open, of course) and they will dispose of it.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My local council has a designated day for picking up the bins from home and issuing the new ones, in the past I've just had to call and they will pick up either that week if its in time to be added to the list or it goes on the following weeks list.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Same with me - my local council collects them on a Thursday (phone by Weds) and will leave however many empty sharps bins you ask for. I think most local authorities offer this service.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Speak to your pharmacy

A little update on this discussion. I managed to finally track down my local city council people (their number seems to be guarded and hard to find), and I called them about maybe a collection service. Here's one for the books: My 'surgery' has to notify them that I need them to collect my full sharps bin. Well, hey, the surgery wouldn't even take it out of my hand this morning, and I was nastily informed that the rules are the rules, and THEY are the only ones who I HAVE to bring my full containers to, and at THEIR hours, which I cannot do. So, I happen to know that they will NOT help me find a way to authorize the council to go ahead and pick my bins up. That would be going against their precious rules, wouldn't it? I have to say that it's hard enough being sick from this condition, but when you have to get rejected by your own surgery about something as mundane as this has turned out to be, well...I'm just about through with them all.

Thanks for your posts...

SH

P.S...Went into the pharmacy who will deliver meds and new bins, but they are not allowed any more to pick up the used ones. Seems this area's 'needle exchange' program was cut off, and that included pick up of used supplies from pharmacies. How pitiful is that?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi SH,

I think your first step, if you haven't already done so, is to write to the practice manager at your local surgery and explain why you are unable deliver the sharps at their designated time and ask them to suggest a solution to the problem. If they simply refuse to cooperate then your next step is to escalate it to the General Medical Council.

They are the regulatory body for medical practices in the UK. They are the body that doctors must be registered with before they are allowed to practice and they set the guidelines for doctors on what constitutes good medical practice, which includes the level of service that doctors are obliged to provide for their patients. Write to

The General Medical Council
Regent’s Place
350 Euston Road
London NW1 3JN

and simply explain, as you have done to us, how the attitude of your local practice falls well short of the standards that any patient has a right to expect and that they are being deliberately uncooperative and obstructive over this matter.

Make sure you send a copy of your letter to the practice manager at your surgery. Don't worry about the surgery refusing to treat you - once you have raised a complaint the practice would be struck off the GMC register if they even suggested it.

If your practice is any good at all you should never need step 2!

Thank you, Dennis, and that is very helpful advice. I will do that. Then the ball will be in their court and it will be up to them how they handle it. This is a big help, as I wasn't sure what the proper procedure of notification would be, so thanks again. I guess mainly I am frustrated because it wasn't that long ago that people's needs were at least taken into consideration. Now it's more like office procedure, and the rules can't be broken. So, I appreciate all help here today...

SH

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
the way these services seem to be going around the country (it's fine in my area, for now) they'll expect us to take the sharpes bins to the incinarator ourselves!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Stuboy

Ssssssshhhhhhhh . . . . . . don't put ideas into their tiny brains.

Trinkwasser

Stuboy said:
the way these services seem to be going around the country (it's fine in my area, for now) they'll expect us to take the sharpes bins to the incinarator ourselves!

They probably expect you to dump them in a farm gate along with the rest of the stuff they will no longer collect.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Sunnyh,
My local chemist stopped taking them and so did the surgery, so i took them to the local dump and asked the guy on the gate if they had anywhere i could dispose of several sharp containers. He directed me to the recycling bin for knives!! so thats where i put them every time.
Suzi x

efaitch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd personally be tempted to take them to the surgery and leave them on the reception desk.... if they can prescribe them, then surely they can dispose of them?

Fiona