Sharps disposal

JamesA

I was given a sharps bin by my GP without asking, presumably when the guidelines changed.
I've never used it.

My pen needles go back into their cover and and cover goes back on the lancets so they're not "sharps" anymore.

Theres a contamination issue in that they've had your blood on them, but I'm still putting them in the carboard box they come in, taping it up and putting it in the rubbish.
This is mainly due to the local chemist and GPs not collecting them.

I also just do not see the point in the NHS having to pay a fortune to incinerate my "sharps".

Steveee

In North East Essex we can return sharps bins to our GPs. Theer is also a plan to extend the service to pharmacies. I have been told that the pharmicies that are resisting this are those at supermarkets such as Tescos. :evil:

Trinkwasser

Steveee said:
In North East Essex we can return sharps bins to our GPs. Theer is also a plan to extend the service to pharmacies. I have been told that the pharmicies that are resisting this are those at supermarkets such as Tescos. :evil:

Over the border here in Suffolk we've been successful in keeping Tescos out of town for about nine years so far.

The pharmacy was recently taken over by Boots but they've kept on the same clueful (and attractive) staff. Just out of curiosity I'll ask next time I go in. I'm pretty certain the GP surgery and the cottage hospital opposite will take them also, they have to dispose of their own sharps after all.

rach

I just have lancets and test strips to dispose of but am struggling to know what to do with them as I'm apparently not allowed to dispose of them openly as domestic waste - running out of boxes to secretly dispose of them with. Do you know if I'm entitled to get a sharps bin for these or is it only people with syringes? And if I might be able to get one is it chemist or GP I ask? Thanks for your help!

Katharine

Your GP should be able to prescribe a sharps bin for you.

If for any reason you can't get one, use an old bleach bottle or similar. I have also found my whey protein containers and the "oxywash" powder canisters a good size. Stick in your needles and then when it is full, put the top back on and tape it. Then double wrap it in two plastic bags tying knots in the top and put it in with your usual household waste. If it is in with your vegetable peelings and so forth it would take a pretty determined person to look inside.

oskar

We find the BD needle clipper very good- it's on prescription and clips the end off needles and lancets. One clipper lasts ages and contains clipped off ends , whole thing can then be thrown in bin.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The test strip canisters are secure, so I put lancets & strips in a used canister & throw in the rubbish. I didn't ask & wasn't told ....

Since then I've been prescribed a sharps bin which the Dr exchanges.

We did have a problem with my blind friend when the nurse took away her sharps bin without bringing a new one. That took a week to solve.